ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jt you were one of the first people that came to mind when I was presented with the problem at hand. Ive been helping a friend of mine with a build on a 280zx non turbo. The car has a 3.0L stroker motor in it that was salvaged out of another 280zx and has just been freshly rebuilt. According the L engine program itll be running a 10.7:1 compression ratio which is pretty decent. Now here comes the problem in a couple months the head that is on it will be switched out with a turbo head and a 2mm Husey(sp) copper head gasket and a very nice sized turbo will be thrown on. So in preperation we went ahead with 550cc injectors and a full fuel system on the car. Also a MegaSquirt system is being delivered this weekend and at this point none of us have been able to find a base map that would be close to correct. I was just curious if you happened to have any tunes laying around that you could share that might match up with that. Everything on the car will be taken care of in the next two days and the MS will be here this weekend so time is getting real short. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
I am not JT, nor do I have an answer, but maybe a call to ASH wouldn't hurt, he may be able to help with a contact or maybe he could help... Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
He's talking first gen z's... ;) Ash won't be of any help.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I have a base map for 550 injectors on an L28ET with a T3/T4E hybrid turbo, but it's for a Haltech system. The MS system uses volumetric efficiency as the mapping values while the Haltech uses time in mili-seconds, so the two won't relate. Have your tried to contact anyone on hybridz.org? There are many on there that have used the MS. Personally I wanted a little more control then the MS allowed, so I split for the extra bucks.

The 1st trick is just getting the system started. Once you have that then I used a WB O2 meter to tune the off load values. Once I had the engine running well enough to free rev, then I began on the load settings. Use a few areas on the map that work well and project them using some linear interpolation in order to fill in additional points. It's not exact, but it gets you even closer. You can then fine tune each area of the map further.

I used a basic ignition curve with some conservative advance values until I could get a more refined fuel map. Then it became a balance of ignition and fuel using the WB A/F meter and an EGT meter to get the ignition curve tweaked.

Keep in mind that a base map is just that. A map to use as a base to get the engine started. Every engine is different and will require a different tune to get it right. The more modded an engine the greater the variability. What tools do you have in order to do the tuning processes?

Once I was able to get the car driveable I then spent the extra money and had a professional tuner do the final tune on they dyno.

Post Edited (Jan 24, 7:29pm)

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, I made sure we had the wideband and the EGT guage installed already I know the basic theorys of tuning and how to take care of that I was just hopeing to get lucky and get a free base map to get the car up and running. All the base maps ive found on Hybrid Z have been for turbo applications and seeing as how this is all motor it wont work. Im tempted to take a base map for a N/A Z32 and plug in the numbers I can, it would be a bit off but it would give me somewhere to start.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
As a base map an L28 turbo map using 550 injectors should get you started along pretty well. Keep in mind that an NA is just a turbo that's not running in the boost area. The map will be off because of the higher compression and VE differences, but should get you started. That would work better then most Z32 maps since a Z32 NA doesn't use 550 injectors unless it's using NO2. You'll also have problems transposing the maps since the Z32 also uses a different method for calculating fuel and ignition requirements.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Mr. JT240Z you never cease ...

amaze me. When it comes to the electrical and computer "whiz" knowlege you have a Masters.

Soooo tell me ....how does one aquire more knowlege in this area? With the 240 project coming up I would love to be able to "tweak" the ole AEM with some real time data. If you ever want to donate a portion of that side of your brain that contains just a smidge of this knowlege I would gladly take it off your hands!
MaxDoc

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Doc, you know as well as I do how you get this kind of knowledge. For me it was simply a matter of need. I had a project that went way beyond the norm and I needed to dig into it some. I started with some old 240Zs. As I got more into them, the need for additional HP caught up to me. Eventually I had to go to the dark side and went all out turbo. The only way to do this right was to go programmable EFI. That's when I learned that the hardest part of putting in a programmable EFI system wasn't the wiring. It was the tuning. I got luck and met up with some people who really knew what they were doing (current tuners with F1 and ALMS) They were kind enough to impart some of that know how and I was lucky enough to be the recipient. One spent 4 hours with me and my car to do the final tune on, what I thought was a finished project. The result was 50 additional HP and me being very humbled.

If you get to a point where you need some help, contact me and we can talk about it. I don't say I know it all, but I did learn a thing or two. If I don't know the answer, then we can figure it out together.:)

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JT exactly this will really be one of my frist hands on tuning experiences ive helped tune turbo cars before and I know the basic principels of it and theorys so im just hopeing I can make the car so its driveable thats my only goal before I turn it over to someone else and watch and learn what they do that I didnt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.