ZCar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Datsun Z Fans. I am posting this because if you have not heard there is some fantastic news! John Morton of BRE 240Z fame has been invited back to race at the 50th Anniversary of the SCCA Run Offs at Road America this Sept. The car is almost finished and should be ready for testing in August. John won the C Production class for Datsun in 1970-71. John is now 71 years old and driving a 43 year old car competing against newer Miata's and BMW Z3. He has a good chance still. Last year Greg Ira came in Second in his 240z. We are in need of donations to still pull this off. Transportation, fuel, tires, Hotel,(for volunteer crew) Bread, water etc needs to be paid for. That is where you can help! With as little as $20 you can make a difference. This is truly a historic undertaking. John may well be the oldest driver in the field! We have a donation page here. Please take a minute to see the video. Thank You. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/john-morton-datsun-z-car-project-46/x/3907813

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve That is great news! maybe you can help me? Is there just not many 50 plus Datsun fans out there? Is John Morton not relevant anymore to the latest Datsun/Nissan fan? This project has been going since Jan 1. We have just really advertised it heavily in the last couple of weeks. Of the 1 thousand Plus Datsun fans that have been contacted we have 21 donations. I really can't figure it out. I was really worried at the start I would have a problem fitting all the names on the decklid. Now I am feeling almost embarrased if the car shows up with 20 names on it." John here are all the guys rooting for you"Vendors have been kind with there donations. But maybe I just over estimated that the 240Z and John Morton cross over to the newer generation. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The vintage Datsun world is a big echo chamber. People keep hearing themselves and vastly over estimate the market and the amount of money that's in it. Over 1/2 million S30s were built and the aftermarket/vintage market is smaller then what's out there for the the Porsche 356 of which 80,00 were built.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, what John Coffey said. Also 90% of Datsun owners are just barely
getting by and about one paycheck away from selling it. Sadly that is the
demographics of the crowd that own these cars.
The owners of these cars seem to have wrenches that only turn counter
clockwise and they rarely back come together completely.
A 356 or an old 911 does not collect dust for very long. It does not take
10 years for them to be on the road like new again. Or more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Steve and John. I have been a Datsun 510 guy for only 15 years. Plus a bunch of other Datsun/Nissan cars. This car we are building for John Morton is my First Z car. What you guys say makes sense. That might explain why you can buy a Z car for less than a 510 these days. John Morton did win a Class at Lemans in 300zx twin turbo. Maybe I need to hit those guys up.lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
The Z corral at the track is no longer. The later Z generation lost interest in wheel to wheel racing. It came to the point where you only saw 2 or 3 Z cars parked there. One 300ZX and two 350Z's. That's it. The new generation is more into drifting as a sport. All the rest are only into car shows and picnics. That is what many of the clubs are about now. Quite different from the 70's and 80's. When I do go and bring my 240Z, I am usually the only one there at the track with one. 90% of this new generation group do not know who John Morton is and the never heard of BRE.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Here is a little encouragement.

Re: Trim-Tex in Grand-Am Rolex race

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETROIT ROCK
Way to go Joe. Thanks again for mid ohio tix.

Have you heard Bonk Brothers Racing they are from Illinois. Anyway they are building a 240z for JOHN MORTON
to run in the scca runoffs at Road America in September .
They need cash for the build.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jo...car-project-46

Cool Project! If they can get it done and show up I will get them one set of Hoosier tires from my awesome sponsor Hoosier Tires.

Joe

http://www.drywalltalk.com/f2/trim-tex-grand-am-rolex-race-3882/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joe, I am sorry I have not been on the forum. But I would love to take you up on your offer. We are going to be there. We are testing the car this weekend. Let me know how to contact you and how to get hooked up on a set of Hoosier tires. Thank You. Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John Morton Test day

Everybody, the test day went great. In our first outing the car is a top 5 contender. At last years runoff times. Hurrah.

My contact info is Steve Bonk cell 847-208-7299 or [email protected]
Cheers! All

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
The Z corral at the track is no longer. The later Z generation lost interest in wheel to wheel racing. It came to the point where you only saw 2 or 3 Z cars parked there. One 300ZX and two 350Z's. That's it. The new generation is more into drifting as a sport. All the rest are only into car shows and picnics. That is what many of the clubs are about now. Quite different from the 70's and 80's. When I do go and bring my 240Z, I am usually the only one there at the track with one. 90% of this new generation group do not know who John Morton is and the never heard of BRE.
Nissan has not helped matters out at all. NISMO's S30, S130, Z31 parts catalog has dwindled down next to nothing. Why campaign a vehicle when you have to rely on small speciality parts mfg's or speed shops that have poor turn around time because of a build on demand market. You know why you keep seeing alot of RX7's at the track. Mazdaspeed Development still supports their older vehicles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts