ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sort of a survey type question, I'd really like to get some other people's thoughts on this.

How do you jack up your Z?

On my old 240 ('71) if I used the rocker panel jacking points, the thing would probably go up about two inches before it started crushing through the old sheetmetal. So I always set the jack (the original) under the swingarm right next to where the strut attaches. It didn't seem to be hurting anything and you can get the wheel off the ground with much less jacking. Is this causing any damage?

With my new Z (a '72 with alot less rust), I still don't like using the official jacking points and now I have a floor jack. But I have to raise the the car about an inch before I can get the floor jack under the center jack point. Also I don't really want to drive around all the time with a floor jack in the car...

So, how do you do it...
SoM

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
frame, front crossmember, or rear crossmember. that's what I use to lift my car. I had my jack point crush once so I don't use it anymore.

And if you can't fit your floor jack in, use ramps first, then jack the rest with your floor jack.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I use a chunk of aluminum 3/8 thick and about 6" square on the frame rail, and have also used the a arms to get the wheel up fast as you discribed. I don't like to use the factory places either, found the same crushing problem. There's no worse feeling than seeing something getting bent on your car, which is why I started using blocks and plates to spread the force out enough to prevent dammage. Just a thought, I avoid any factory jack like the plaug, they seem to bend, and I almost stuck my car in my pit once. That would have sucked. If it wasw'nt for three guys holding onto my car, I would have had my car go right in.

Dylan

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
rear too? mine is too low in the front since the airdam but I can still ramp the rear wheels. Then I sneak the floor jack from the back of front wheels to the front crossmember.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't tried the ramps in back, it might work but it's pretty low. But yes, I get it under the front by turning the front wheels to the left and sneak it in from the right but it still won't fit under the crossmember 'till I jack it up about an inch. Next weekend I'll see if I can back onto the ramps, I might be able to get the underside painted if it works.
SoM

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where exactly do you mean when you say 'on the frame rail'? It's definately good to spread out the stress.

If your car fell in, that would have really been the pits, huh? (heh)

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I made the mistake of jacking under the front frame rails of my '82 ZX and the thin metal 'collapsed'. Have not tried it on my '76 nor do I intend to. When this question was brought up some time ago, one guy said he simply welded some thicker steel plate over the front of the frame rails just so he could jack there without doing damage. Seems like a great idea. Also, those of you who use the "rear crossmember" to jack — what exactly are you talking about? I wasn't aware there WAS a rear crossmember in a first-gen Z. At least one that could support the weight of the car.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Re: safety considerations

The jack must be on a solid surface. Use something like 3/4 in. plywood or oak under the jack unless on a solid (more than 4 in. thk.) concrete surface. Asphalt on a hot day can be very soft.

Never work under the car unless the jack has lowered the car onto GOOD jackstands. I've seen many death certs. from jacks failing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.