ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I have a 1983 Datsun 280zx 2+2 and 5 speed manual transmission Non Turbo Grand luxury edition. I've been restoring this bad boy for a while now but my mechanic is recommending me to replace the air intake hoses, but I'm having trouble figuring everything out. I have replaced a lot of things, but mostly have original parts concerning these hoses, so they are ancient and the boot looks like its about to fall off, and the rubber has gone hard.

I'm attempting to purchase parts from the Zcardepot and I emailed them about what parts would fit on my model of car and they said to measure, but I'd prefer not to take anything off and back on, and I was curious if anyone knows the proper specs for my model of vehicle?

From my understanding according to my search through various forums, the vacuum line air intake hoses come in a variety of sizes like 5/8, 3/8, and 1/8 inches, is this correct for my model? Zcar depot said to buy a 6 foot roll of hoses of each size and I should be good, is this correct?

One of the main things that needs to be replaced is the air intake boot, but it comes in different sizes but the only size zcardepot has is 2.375 inches for the "Air Intake MAF AFM Hose OEM 280Z 280ZX" and I was curious if this would work for my model.

"Air Intake Hose Elbow Throttle Body AFM MAF 280Z 280ZX" comes in a variety of sizes which includes "2.25 to 2.75" and "2.375 to 2.75" and "2.75 to 2.75" and "3 to 2.75" Which is the correct size for my model?

Also I found a "PCV Crankcase Vent Hose to Intake 280Z 280ZX" this is also a part of the air intake system and needs to be replaced correct?

If I got all of these things, is that my entire air intake system? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance, cheers!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the AFM boot was larger for the Turbo engine. I don’t have a ZX but since you know they have to be replaced just pull them off and measure the diameter of the AFM inlet. I’d assume with an NA motor you have the smaller one. So pul it off and you’ll be 100% sure what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have mine off my 79 and measured both the tube and the throttle body and AFM. Mine is 2.75” (AFM) and 2.375” (TB). I would think it would be the same but I’m not positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
You'd probably better measure. It isn't a difficult task and you'll know what will fit. Save guessing for the hard stuff but even that is better avoided. Can you wrench?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts