ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mornings are starting to get close to freezing, good thing I fixed my heater.

Well, now its time to move to the rear defroster. The defroster gets power on the right side, down the thick strip, but only 5 inches towards the center, but I also don't get continuity or power on the other connector.

What would be the best way to repair it? Do you think it might not be sending enough amps to make it to the other side? Any kits/ideas you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Mario

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hmm... from what you've stated (and I'm sure you already know), the strips across the rear glass aren't complete anymore. The only thing I know of would be to get a remote starter and install it before it gets too cold so that you can crank it with plenty of time to allow the heater to warm the entire cabin, including the rear glass. Otherwise, you could replace the rear glass or maybe get a couple of small 12v. ceramic heaters and mount them somewhere pointing towards the glass. If you do this though, you'll have to contend with residue from the adhesive or screw holes at a later time. JC Whitney sells these heaters.

Just my $.02... wish I could help more.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
dont they have a repair kit for the rear defroster? its like a brush on metalic paint or something that conducts the energy...

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a Dupont paint that can be applied to the window to repair the defroster. It is "silver composition No. 4817" as per the factory shop manual (Section BE-31 from the 1973 manual)

You can find broken wires with a volt meter.

You need to remove the rear hatch and lay it flat on the ground. The silver solution will bridge any gaps in the broken wires.

It is applied with an old style drafting pen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.