ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kidding, I took my car to get my brakes inspected today because my mom said she'd fix them for one of my Grad presents (yippy) neway they jacked my car up and were taking off the wheels when they notice that the tire freely jerks alot. Apparently the arm that holds the wheel to the A-frame has a bolt in it that's been losend slightly and has been rubbing agains the A-frame itself. That needs to welded ASAP, then they found out that my steering rack is leaking and needs to be replace. All together the bill came to 915$ with the welding being a variable so this could be costing me 1000$.

lol, I laughed at the mechanic and told him he's nuts. I said that I could rip off a steering rack at a junk yard for 35$, put it in myself and asked him to weld it. And then the bill lowerd to 150$ lol.

So, i looked under the car and noticed the steering rack. It seem spretty simple, just disconnect from the steering wheel rack and pin, then disconnect all lines and finally unbolt the 6/7 bolts holding the rack to the frame, then disconnect them from the wheel ties and take off. Then replace in opposite order for new rack.

Is there and site on the internet that may have a dissassembaly page for a steering rack?

·
Registered
724 Posts
When it comes to putting out $1000.00 for a car, mechanics are like doctors........get a second opinion.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Funny. I do most of my own mechanical work. But anytime I've ever taken one of my cars to have something fixed it always comes back with the magic $1000 estimate. Once they have you in there they'll try and squeeze as much out of you as possible. This is especially true with suspension pieces.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.