ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got some issues goin on with my z lately. Started out very intermittenet but now is pretty regular. My speedo has been dropping to 0 at low speeds and my power steering has been cutting out, I know the Z has speed sensitive power steering so im guessing a speed sensor is about to take a dump. I've also got a super crappy idle and sometimes when i pull up to a light it stays up at like 1400,1500rpm. I've also noticed a gas smell when its cool or at night. Sometimes (still very intermittent) upon startup I have an ultra crappy idle, NO throttle response, and a check engine light for about 30 seconds to a minute and then the check engine light is gone and performance is back around usual. I mechanically inclined, but not a mechanic and have no idea how to approach the speed sensor and have poked around the engine bay looking for loose fittings or cracked fuel lines with no avail. My Z is my DD and has to be operational so I've scheduled an appointment at the local Z shop http://www.zwhizz.com. Just looking to see what you guys think is goin on, what im looking at repairing, what I should try and do myself being a novice tech and what the guys at Zwhizz are gonna say.

Post Edited (Jan 23, 2:32pm)

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Ok lets take a look........

As you know the Z32 rivals the space shuttle for electrical complexity. Soooo
Lets look at the "Issues"

"My speedo has been dropping to 0 at low speeds and my power steering has been cutting out, I know the Z has speed sensitive power steering so im guessing a speed sensor is about to take a dump."

Yes the two are related. If the speed sensor is not functioning properly it will send faulty info to the PS control unit. The steering system uses the speed input to increase or decrease the steering sensitivity. The lower the speed of the car the higher the PS assist. The higher the speed of the car the lower the PS assist. I would first examine the harness connections on the sensor. Look for any corrosion or broken leads. It sounds like the sensor is loosing its output signal causing the speedo to drop to 0. You can test the speed sensor by removing it and checking for continuity at the terminals using a voltmeter. Place the voltmeter (set on continuity) probes on the terminals of the speed sensor and rotate the speed sensor slowly. You should see intermittent continuity.

"I've also got a super crappy idle and sometimes when i pull up to a light it stays up at like 1400,1500rpm."

On a N/A you need to first and foremost check the TPS adjustment as 80% of idle problems start with the TPS. Adjust the TPS to .48v on a fully warmed up engine. Once that is done then disconnect the gray TPS harness and start the car. When the idle settles turn on the headlights THEN you can adjust the idle screw to around 800-850 RPM. Let the car idle for at least 30 seconds after that, then reconnect the Gray TPS harness while the engine is idling. This will produce the best results.

"I've also noticed a gas smell when its cool or at night."

Starting at the fuel filter follow the fuel line from the filter to the engine. Check ALL the connections on the Fuel Dampner, Pressue Regulator, and filter itself. There are two more connections that reside towards the front of the engine just under the throttle linkage. You need to remove the throttle drum cover off the top of the engine and look down just behind the timing belt cover to see the fittings.

"Sometimes (still very intermittent) upon startup I have an ultra crappy idle, NO throttle response, and a check engine light for about 30 seconds to a minute and then the check engine light is gone and performance is back around usual."

You need to run the ECU codes. I am willing to bet based on your description it is a faulty MAFS or MAFS connection.

MaxDoc

Post Edited (Jan 23, 4:55pm)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.