ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a new project for the summer and am having trouble tracking down parts. I'm new to the Nissan community and am hoping that you guys might be able to point me in the right direction as far as sources for parts. If this is not the right place for this kind of post, please let me know.

I'm in search of a set of needle bearings and the corresponding bushing/sleeve for 5th gear on a FS5W71B transmission.

Any help would be much appreciated!

-Hank

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I saw your post. Thought this would be the person I need to contact about a trans issue I have in an 83 Z non turbo I am looking at buying. Here's a description of what's going on. There is a whining/wherring sound when driving down the road in all gears. If I go from accel to coast on the throttle and back again the noise comes and goes, which seems to me like the sound of a differential ring and pinion on the accel and coast side of the gear set. If I put the clutch in, the noise goes away, which indicates to me it's the input shaft bearing or gear set. Any help would be appreciated. The car has 131K miles and one owner car. Maybe he ran it low on trans oil. He wants $1000 for the car. Has a new paint job and had rust repair done. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Hank44, I'm doing a search for the bearings and bushing. I should have an answer tomorrow. Damage to those 2 items is usually caused from: The stake nut on the main shaft loosening up or lugging the engine in 5th gear. Minimum RPM in 5th is 2500, better to run 3K or higher. .
38pont what you're describing is main bearing noise in the transmission. You need to get it overhauled. Usually the first main bearing to go bad is the middle counter shaft bearing. The input and counter shaft are always spinning when the clutch pedal is up and the engine is running. Push the pedal in and both shafts stop rotating. I do sell rebuild kits for your trans and rebuild the transmissions myself as well. Always let me know you use this forum when you're getting prices. I discount 5% to 30% to zcar.com users. Z man of Washington 360-668-2979

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Hank44, the sleeve for 5th gear is not available anymore in the US. My Japan source has dried up due to the Covid pandemic so I'm unable to check that contact at this time. Is it possible that you could dress the sleeve so you could reuse it? As far as the bearings go they are a 2 piece bearing. The listing doesn't say whether the price is for both pieces or just one of them and the only way to find out is to order 1 and find out. Usually on something like this it's going to be both pieces. Otherwise the listing would say requires 2 per vehicle and it doesn't say that. If you want to order it through me I'd be willing to order a pair just to make sure and if you only needed one of them that would be fine with me. I'd just add the other one to my inventory. The zcar.com price is 30.76 each. to order it you'll have to contact me directly. Z man of Washington 360-668-2979 or [email protected]

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's kind of disheartening suppliers don't have the manual transmission parts for rebuilds. My 2nd gear is a little crunchy when the car is cold. But once it warms up everything is smooth as silk. I hope when I need a rebuild, I'll be able to source the necessary parts for my 5 speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts