ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here is a very serious question. in cali they passed a law that any car pre-dating '74 is now smog exempt. upon hearing this i immediately dumped the extra weight. namely the smog junk. now the thing is, here in the northern bay area of good ol california, import street racers are frowned upon. so the cops like to pull us over and have us pop the hood. aight aight heres the question... if im pulled over and asked to pop the hood and they dont see a smog pump and all that other ugly tubing and stuff, can they still send me to the state referee? and if they can, exactly what smog law do i have to pass if my car is now exempt? at the illegals (weekend night races) over in fremont last weekend they swept through and sent almost everyone there to the state referee, i wasnt there that night but now they got me nervous to even bring my baby Z into public... anyone got any 411 in regards to this?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I think it's the "tampering" part...

. anyone got any 411 in
> regards to this?

My guess is they ticketed them for violating state or federal laws by tampering with antipollution devices. I'm no lawyer, but I think there are state and federal laws about not tampering with the smog devices in cars sold in the U.S. CA increased the requirements, but the manufacturers originally installed the smog stuff to conform to federal laws. It might be that the CA codes allow pre-73 vehicles from TAKING or PASSING smog tests, but maybe the codes still prohibit tampering with factory installed antipollution devices.

If I were you I'd go to the DMV web page and click on links to their codes section, and do some good homework before you disconnect the hardware.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Don't Stress!!!!!!!

> ok, here is a very serious question. in cali
> they passed a law that any car pre-dating
> '74 is now smog exempt. upon hearing this i
> immediately dumped the extra weight. namely
> the smog junk. now the thing is, here in the
> northern bay area of good ol california,
> import street racers are frowned upon. so
> the cops like to pull us over and have us
> pop the hood. aight aight heres the
> question... if im pulled over and asked to
> pop the hood and they dont see a smog pump
> and all that other ugly tubing and stuff,
> can they still send me to the state referee?
> and if they can, exactly what smog law do i
> have to pass if my car is now exempt? at the
> illegals (weekend night races)
> over in fremont last weekend they swept
> through and sent almost everyone there to
> the state referee, i wasnt there that night
> but now they got me nervous to even bring my
> baby Z into public... anyone got any 411 in
> regards to this?
I wouldn't stress! I live in the east bay, and I was pulled over in my '71 3 or 4 times before the law passed. Only once did they look under the hood, and only because he wanted to see what I had under there that sounded so cool. I've had triple Mikunis, no air pump, and none of that smog crap for around 4 years now. As far as I understand, you could have a 502 c.i. big block that creates a smokescreen every time you drive it and it's legit.
Hey, where do you guys run your cars in Fremont? If it's confidential, just email me instead of posting it. I like to show some of those Hondas whats up!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here's the 411

> ok, here is a very serious question. in cali
> they passed a law that any car pre-dating
> '74 is now smog exempt. upon hearing this i
> immediately dumped the extra weight. namely
> the smog junk. now the thing is, here in the
> northern bay area of good ol california,
> import street racers are frowned upon. so
> the cops like to pull us over and have us
> pop the hood. aight aight heres the
> question... if im pulled over and asked to
> pop the hood and they dont see a smog pump
> and all that other ugly tubing and stuff,
> can they still send me to the state referee?
> and if they can, exactly what smog law do i
> have to pass if my car is now exempt? at the
> illegals (weekend night races)
> over in fremont last weekend they swept
> through and sent almost everyone there to
> the state referee, i wasnt there that night
> but now they got me nervous to even bring my
> baby Z into public... anyone got any 411 in
> regards to this?

Not having the equipment, is what is going to get you into trouble. Here in Texas, we have a few counties around here that are the same way.(I live in one) We don't have to have the emmision test done, but if you don't have the proper equipment on the car, then you are in some serious trouble.

They get you for Tampering with State and Federaly controled emissions restriction devices. That's what they call the ticket you get. Yeah, I've seen 2. Once on a mustang, and once on a Checy truck. Same thing they get you for, if you jerk your catylist.

The bottom line is this.

If you want to risk it, go for it. So you gain a few horse, and save 30 pounds. You get caught, you pay a few hundred $$'s, and deal with the local fuzz, and maybe they impound your car, because you were street racing.

For the price you pay for a ticket, I would just buy a high-flow cat, and leave the smog equipment.

Not what you want to hear, but that's the short and skinny of it.

Sounds to me like you need to find a new place for the races, or at least be a little more inconspicuious. There are a lot of straight roads in your neck of the woods, so there has got to be another place.

Chrs Behney

·
Registered
482 Posts
Here's the deal

I live in the South Bay, and drive my car readily. In fact, I live across the street from a Police Station. I've been pulled over 3 times in my car with no tickets (knock on wood). Once was for squealing the tires in a turn, but it was rainy outside, and the rear end just broke out a little. I wasn't used to driving the car yet. Once I explained this, the cop said no problem, and then wanted to talk to me about my Z. He asked me how much and what I'd done to it. I think he actually pulled me over just to get some info on my car.

Enough rambling, here's my point. If you go to the 'illegals' in Fremont, you're asking for trouble. The cops know that alot of car 'gangs' are there and alot of these new import jokers steal alot of parts. Contrary to what they may believe, the fuzz know about this all to well. This is why they wait for the races to become popular, then bust a whole bunch of them at once. THEY are causing their own problem. So if you go to these import races then I would suspect they would try and throw the book at you due to the 'guilt by association' factor.

I believe that removing the smog stuff is still illegal, even though you don't have to go for a test anymore. However, if you get pulled over outside of these races, for something other than racing or showing off, they most likely will just write the ticket or give you a warning. Most fuzz won't even know if you've removed some smog equipment because they don't know what's supposed to be there. Just try and keep the engine bay looking somewhat stock. i.e. no braided lines, triples, that sort of stuff. That stuff just screams performance=no smog. But, I've had my triples on for over two years, and no problems. But they have never looked under my hood either, probably because they don't think I'm some punk kid trying to remove all my smog stuff for 3hp.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Here's the deal

actually you may be right, its not really the smog thing they are trying to bust, but the so called car gangs. unfortunately, wed. nights at sears point and the occasional special event are the only times you can really run your car here in the bay area. and not even that if you have a work schedule like i do. =) so friday and saturday nights are the only times really. oh and hey, chris hart... the races arent always in fremont. everyone meets at the in & out in milpitas and around midnight you just kinda follow the import crowd to the chosen track or the domestic crowd if thats your thing. ive only see one z(x) other then my z there at the races so if you desided to show up ill be sure to come up and talk with you =) always happy to see another Z fanatic =P. thanx everyone for your responses

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.