1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 78 280zx that have a very motor and ran very good
but the body is rust bad undernear the car,i found a 1980 280
zx that have a very very good body no rust but the motor smoke,
would my motor fix in the 1980 model without any problem.(p s) is $500. to much to pay for a good z body.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
first a 78 zx. do you mean a 79? anyhow the motor on either car should interchange. All of the first and second generation motors will interchange.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Well yes and no, the engine and tranny will bolt in just fine you will need to use the tranny mount from the 80 ZX on your 78 Z's tranny when you put everything in the 80. Basically use the mounts that are already on the car just swap motor/tranny. By the way your 78 is a Z not a ZX they didn't make the ZX till 79. You will use the wiring harness thats already in the ZX and most everything will connect. The altornator may have some different connections and you will be missing the cylinder head temperature switch that the ZX's have and Z's don't. You can have the sensor installed in your 78 engines head as it will need it to run right. The power steering and other accesories will mount to your 78 engine with the brackets from the 80 engine.

Its not a set it in and start it operation there will be differences and a few things to iron out but you should be able to find all the help you need here. Try searching the archives on motor swaps, pay particular attention to electrical issues as the mechanicals are very similiar.

Is $500 to much for a good Z body - **** no its dirt cheap - for a GOOD Z body. Thing is Z's have a lot of talent when it comes to hiding rust and true rust free bodies are few and far between so be carefull. The frame rails rust from the inside out making it almost impossible to find until its too late. If you can take it to a trust worthy frame shop to be checked out.

Check out that 80 ZX engine more it may be something very minor making it smoke - might save you alot of time.

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.