ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a longer rods than L28? I'm getting KA24 (89mm) piston which has higher wrist pins. I thought about stroker but I would like to turn the motor more than 6000rpm. How about just 89mm piston with L28 crank with longer rods? about 2mm longer I think. I think that would be good for more high rpm application. Does anybody knows if the rods out from L4 engines like L18 L20 have longer rods???

·
Registered
507 Posts
Is there a longer rods than L28?
L24...The lengths of the L28 and L24 connecting rods are 130.3mm and 133.0mm respectively. here was a 140mm length rod that was used in the 2.0 liter six cylinders (the Fairlady Z engine), but this engine was not imported to USA, and it also only had the 8mm diameter rod bolts. All the other L series rods are too long to be of any use.

This is not a misprint, yes the L24 rods are longer.

"would like to turn the motor more than 6000rpm"
OK...why can't a stroker motor do this? My 3.1 turns 7500 until the programed MSD rev limitier kicks in...balance is more important here...

"I think that would be good for more high rpm application"
Why do you think this? You are now getting oversquare in your bore/stroke
You seem to be doing this backwards. Don't rush this.

Read this:
<a href = "http://www.zhome.com/rnt/L28conversion/3031FAQ.html">3.0/3.1L FAQ</a>
and this:
<a href = "zhome.com/rnt/3.1Cobb/3.1engine.htm">
3.1L engine </a>
and of course this:
<a href = "http://www.zhome.com/rnt/3.1HanveyProject.htm" >
Bob Hanvey's 3.1L discussion </a>

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I thought the L24 rods were shorter. that mess the while thing up..... Well, this is what I want to do. I want to use .120" pistons that I'm getting but not using the LD28 crank. (they are high price for me) So, with combo with 89mm piston with longer rods (about135mm) so the piston would reach the deck.

·
Registered
994 Posts
i was told that you could use the l24 rods with the nissan pickup truck pistons..bore the l28 block .120...and you have 3.1 liters...is this right???...

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
FJ20 is 145mm, Long Enough?

You use Honda XL 500 pistons, and that's a nice 3.1 with an LD28 crank.
the myth of a "slow revving engine" on a stroker is so much BS.
They rev, it's all what you make it up to do.
You can use LZ22 Pistons (87mm, with the 133mm rods on the L24 for a nice 3 liter with 1.6 r/s ratio. But I digress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.