ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when trying to check my tranny oil level since i have a stick, i was under it and trying every think i could to get that plug out but it wouldnt budge at all. is there a certine was to get this kind of bolt off since its a square?
and has any one who checkd there tranny oil level ran into this problem?

·
Registered
65 Posts
try a little leverage, just watch it closely and make sure it doesnt strip!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Be safe. Make sure the car is blocked up good and not balancing on the jack. Tugging around on that bolt can jostle the car around. Don't want to hear about someone being pancaked by their Z. It probably leaves bad marks.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
"Be safe. Make sure the car is blocked up good and not balancing on the jack. Tugging around on that bolt can jostle the car around. Don't want to hear about someone being pancaked by their Z. It probably leaves bad marks."----Ahhhh, you don't like her on top....?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I've actually been pancaked by my Z before....

Trust me, you do not want to experience it.

(The story is, I was trying to put my tire on in the middle of a street after my stupidity had led to it's falling off while driving. Jacked up the back, got under the car, car fell on me.)

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
my tranny drain plug was stuck. I got it out by freezing it by shooting it with a can of compressed air duster held upside down and that frozen stuff on it for about 30-45 seconds, then stuck a wrench in and whacked it good with a large rubber mallet. persistence was necessary but it worked.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
yeah I used a 1/2 drive breaker bar and it still didn't work. I needed to freeze that bitch off on mine, and then whack it hard with the breaker bar and a mallet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
before u checked it were there symptoms of it leaking or that it was low or did u jsut check it?
and was the level low for most of u??
my reason for asking is because on a 30 min dirve about 15 into it my center consold started smoking but when i went to a tranny speicalist he said its not the tranny cuase u dont need to change manuals fluid

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
uhh, you DO need to change a manual tranny's fluid, at least periodically. Its just oil, and it probably gets abused more than engine oil does cause some parts are always moving really fast, but we change the engine oil that every 3-5,000 miles. Changing it once a year is definitely not a bad idea.

·
Registered
297 Posts
if you're worried about it, and you really can't get the filler plug out (which i find hard to believe), just empty it via the drain plug and fill it by taking out your shifter. The amount of fluid used can be found here:

<http://www.az-zbum.com/information.transmission.shtml>

The reccomended amounts are near the bottom of the page. Don't use cheapo gear oil, you might as well go Pennzoil or something similar if you're taking the time to do it.

It couldn't hurt...

Good luck,

Post Edited (Nov 7, 2:42pm)

·
Registered
353 Posts
or what i did is fill her up thru the sensor whole on the other side , i just tilted the car one way to get as much in there and its been working fine , i couldnt get mine off because of my down pipe being in the way and it was way too much of a hassle to take it all off(the screws connecting it to the o2 elbow were all rusted out so i just had it weld on to the o2elbow , so to take off the downpipe i would have to take it off from the turbo).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Can you really refill the trans through the shifter? What actually needs to be removed?

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.