ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know they are diffrent but what is the diffrents and if i had a hole set up from a 83 zx could i put it in my 76 280z.does the 83 have a o2 sensor.which system is better to have if i am going to be doing mods like bigger t/b and bigger injectors and so on.which system is easyer to maintain.my 76 has a lot of broke and corroded wires.thaks ahead of time

· Registered
1,784 Posts
The two FI systems are fundamentally different. The older Z FI is an analog system, and the ZX FI is digital. It would not be difficult to swap the ZX ECU and harness into the Z, but you might have to get a head temp sensor and O2 sensor and downpipe from the ZX. You would have to put the head temp sensor into the front of the engine where the Z FI read water temperature. Yes, the ZX has an O2 sensor. The Z ECU is probably better to tune for the TB and AFM upgrades, but either one will be difficult to tune for bigger injectors - you won't need them anyway, you'll just run too rich. Just because you can get a little more air into the engine with the TB and AFM, you won't max out your injectors unless you raise the redline, install a performance cam, or convert the engine to 3.1 liters.

· Registered
187 Posts
The very first 79 280ZX cars are different from the later ZX cars....I know I have 2 of them. One has a production date of 6/78 and the other has a date of 3/79. Both cars are ZX body styles and are identical....even the same color. The early ZX cars did not use an oxygen sensor or head temp sensor, how ever the airflow meters are different from the eairlier Z models. The earlier Z cars did not have a built in circuit to cut fuel like the ZX cars do. Weigh a z airflow and weigh a ZX airflow meter .... the ZX is heavyer. I tried a Z meter on my ZX and the car would not idle right, has a different resistance and only one adjustment for fuel. I had a 77 Z and the fuel injection looked similar to the 79ZX , the fuel regulator how ever is different.The 77 has 3 fuel ports and one vacume. The ZX has 2 fuel ports and one vacume. I used a 77 z intake on my 79 because of mods to the intake...Work great as a mater of fact the engine in my 79ZX came out of a 77Z. KIRK

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
it's a go, IF...

You can get the earlier thermostat housing and install your head temp sensor there.
Also, the ECU is larger than the earlier units, so it woun't snap in like the earlier model's. On my RHD, it was a simple matter of sticking it up behind the glovebox, on a LHD car, you have to be aa bit more creative.
The O2 sensor is great, as it auto trims to stoch. A/F ratio within 10%, so you have a bit more tuning window dealing with injector volume and fuel pressure.
All in all, you can install the whole schebang into your car without cutting a sgle wire. All you need is another pigtail from another 280Z, so you can graft the loose wires from the ZX harness to the under-dash plug in the 280Z!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.