ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, after using my BFG's drag radials for quite a while, my Z broke its differential(spider gears which debris damaged the other gears too)

Is the so called 300ZX Turbo '97-'89 less prone to breakage due to hard launches due to its design which I am not familiar with?

Or will it break easier due to the harder grip because of the 2 tires locking?
Or is it of better overall strength quality?

I foud one here in Puerto Rico but the junker is asking $450!!
I dont know what to do, if it is well worth it, I may consider the investment but what if I get it and break it in a couple of months, weeks or even days?

I will post something on a webspace I have about the breakage and installation.

BTW has somebody think of a better way to install the differential for it to be easier to remove next time? I am thinking of welding the 4 nuts that go above it. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

CarlosZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> A couple of weeks ago, after using my BFG's
> drag radials for quite a while, my Z broke
> its differential(spider gears which debris
> damaged the other gears too)

> Is the so called 300ZX Turbo '97-'89 less
> prone to breakage due to hard launches due
> to its design which I am not familiar with?

> Or will it break easier due to the harder
> grip because of the 2 tires locking?
> Or is it of better overall strength quality?

> I foud one here in Puerto Rico but the
> junker is asking $450!!

> I dont know what to do, if it is well worth
> it, I may consider the investment but what
> if I get it and break it in a couple of
> months, weeks or even days?

> I will post something on a webspace I have
> about the breakage and installation.

> BTW has somebody think of a better way to
> install the differential for it to be easier
> to remove next time? I am thinking of
> welding the 4 nuts that go above it. Any
> thoughts?

> Thanks in advance

> CarlosZXT

Hi Carlos it Clint (78Z), sorry for not getting back to you about your intercooler . Shipping is too much of a pain . To answer your question I am told that the carrier uses 12mm bolt in place of 10mm bolts . This will make it stronger but you still might break it I don't know . Usually the halfshafts twist in half before you break the diff . I have heard many people run alot of HP with the R200 and the say it is pretty strong . If you are drag racing I would say get the LSD, it is major traction advantage . $450 is pretty expensive, next time you go to the junk yard don't tell them it is limited slip, just say you want that diff . I got mine for $200 Canadian, you got to have a good poker face .

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know which particular years and specific models came with the LSD; and is there any way to ID a LSD unit from the outside? I have a clutch pack LSD 180 from Nissan Motorsport that I'm installing but it's a 4.65 ratio which may be a little too radical and I'd like to know what else it out there.

Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
> Do you know which particular years and
> specific models came with the LSD; and is
> there any way to ID a LSD unit from the
> outside? I have a clutch pack LSD 180 from
> Nissan Motorsport that I'm installing but
> it's a 4.65 ratio which may be a little too
> radical and I'd like to know what else it
> out there.

> Thanks

First, the 90+ZX units will not bolt into your 280zx. they require some custom fabrication. They are excellent units, but no dice for you, we are talking custom halfshafts, etc... it has been done, but for you, I would go with the 87.5-89 300zx lsd unit. not the one from the special edition units, which are monocrome peral white, but all the other turbo units. it is a 3.7 ratio, and a clutch pack lsd. as you get up there in the power, you aren't going to want much more than a 3.7/3.9. it makes first and second useless. there have been some posts on it before, and you might find it in the archive.
-bob hanvey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.