ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it's doable with a rebuild kit (if theres such a thing) or would I be better off buying a new unit. I pulled teh cap and wiggled teh rotor, it has quite abit of play from side to side. Also there was a loose steel ball laying in there . BTW it still runs but it could do better. I have a parts motor but teh dizzy has about as much play in it as well. Need opinions,advise.Thanks,Mike in TN.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
you can get the parts from Nissan.

Check this: <http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributorrebuild/index.html>

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
Distributor is slightly different but same idea. Buy Nissan parts.

Exploded view available in Chilton or haynes or FSM

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Blue for responding so quickly. In your opinion, which would be cheaper,rebuild or replace? I'm on a tight budget and don't want to be without my daily more than a couple of days. '82 n/t x3, '82zxt , '80 2+2

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
rebuild.

Just make sure the main shaft has no side to side play before rebuilding. Otherwise, get a junkyard distributor with no play to use or rebuild.

Not much to break in a distributor except the breaker plate (engineered pun I think).

·
Registered
517 Posts
Getting the reluctor wheel-thing off of the distributor shaft can be difficult or impossible, as in my case. A gear puller might have done the trick; make sure to have one handy if you're going to rebuild.
BTW the FSM says to use two big screwdrivers to pry up the reluctor wheel from the shaft. This would have destroyed my dist. housing, so be careful not to do that!

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
I used the two screwdriver method to remove the reluctor. Just have to remove the stator first.

AND take your time and work slowly and work "around".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.