ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I disconnect the vacuum from the EGR, there is no change (I assume that is because it is closed). When I lift the valve open, the car starts to run rough (which is normal), however, leaving this valve open AND plugging the vacuum on the EGR, there is no change from the rough idle. Is this how the system operates, or do I have a diaphram leak in the EGR. Thanks.

- J.E.L. 83ZX N/A

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Is my EGR bad???</b>

the egr valve only functions at higher rpms and while at full engine temperature. it's just the way the system works.

-casper

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: Yes, but I was checking for leaks...please

from what you describe, the egr is working normally. when you open the valve by hand, the engine idles rough because you're letting exhaust back into the intake manifold, leaning the fuel mixture, among other things. plugging the vacuum line into the egr while you hold the valve open won't make any difference. the motor still idles rough because you're holding the egr open, not because there is a diaphragm (vacuum) leak. if the diaphragm did leak, it would only be at higher rpms, above 3,000 or so, and only while the motor was hot.

-casper

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.