ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alternator will not charge my battery...
The red charge light is not illuminated while the engine
is running....
I replaced the voltage regulator....
did I lose a diode in the alternator?...Usually the charge light lites when that happens right?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Get the Alternator tested

The easiest thing to do if you do not have a manual on how to check it...is to take to a parts store or shop that tests the alternator. That will tell you for sure if that is the problem. Definently get a manual to help diagnose. Hope this helps,
gary

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: Get the Alternator tested</b>

Don, get a voltmeter and check to see how much voltage is going to your battery by placing the voltmeter wires across the batt. terminals while the engine is running. You should have between 13.75 to 14.25 volts at the battery. If it is more your regulator is bad, if less. the brushes in your alt are worn out. Be safe and replace both the alt and your regulator at the same time. As they are both cheap, it doesn't make sense not to do that.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Probably dying

Had the same problem. I did what kkzracer suggested and checked the voltage across the batter (battery's new) and it was 12 volts regardless of engine speed. Replaced the alternator (my '81 has the regulator built in) and no more problems. Good luck!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: Is my Alternator going bad?</b>

quick way to find out - start car and then pull the positive lead at battery, if it dies its the alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.