ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im an huge z-car enthusist. ive loved z's since i first saw a new older model 300. and now i have the chance to own one.

its a 89 300zx with 137000 miles on it, NA, 2+2 5 speed. its in very good shape. exterior paint is fadeing a little in the front but no rust spots. interior has a aftermarket cd player all new speakers 2 subs and 2 amps.

a guy that i work with is selling it for $2,500. and my question to you all who know alot more about the value of these cars then i do is that is purshaseing this car worth it?

im 17 yrs old and going to be a senor this year. so i dont have alot of money to be modding it with. but i want a z.

what i am planning on doing is doing a few exterior modds like repainting it. then further down the road (2 yrs) i plan on swapping the motor with a turbo one.

so can someone please tell me if this plan is worth it.

thanks
-Kris

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
No it's not worth it. The non turbo 2+2 is one of the slowest and least liked Z out there. Also for 2500 bucks you should be able to find a nice condition coupe turbo so that you don't have to worry about swapping the engine later. Be patient and you will find a turbo coupe for a similar price.

·
Registered
455 Posts
well do you have a job. The maintinance on these get expensive especially if u go to a mechanic. Gotta replace just about everything. Find out how much hes replaced on it. Mine has 143,000 on it and ive replaced alot. my timing belt just broke requiring me to basically get the head rebuilt. But itll be faster and like new. until the compressor goes out. I've replaced the clutch, brakes, pads, master cylinder and lines, exhaust piping, oh gotta get new ttops cause the old ones are starting to leak oh yeah dont forget the rack and pinion which is alot of money. just alot of little crap that has to get fixed.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
no its not as stated above you can find turbos for simular price - i picked up mine with 119000 for 1400 and it needs timming belt and throw out berring (still drives just fine and in stock form beat a 5.0 even with my 3 second 1st to 2nd shift because of the stupid clutch ) which if i went to a mechanic would be probably around $1000 (though i can do it myself saving a bunch of money) but that puts you at 2500 for a good turbo

I dont know if your stuck on Z31s but you may also want to look into an earlier Z 240-280z no 280zx unless its trubo for they are easier to work on and its not that hard t get some good power out of them my lightly modded 240 beats z31 turbos or at least my own and some random guy at the track and i picked it up for 900 and put around 1500 into it

i woudl say be patient because you can find alot better deals and if your looking for any performance dont even bother with an NA z31

Post Edited (Aug 10, 11:27pm)

·
Registered
95 Posts
my advice is to test drive it. Drive it hard. Ask yourself how does the car feel. If you like it buy it. There is nothing wrong with purchasing a 2+2 na. My first z was an 2+2 na, and I been drriving it for 10 years. Check to see what maintainance have been done to it. You will have plenty of time puchase a faster car. Na's are fun to drive too. $2500 is not too much for an 1989 z.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for everyones input. i think im going to with with all of ur advice and hold off on buying this z and look for a turbo one, witch i still gonna convince my mom to let me buy it.

im decided to wait because i do want something thats faster then my 88 cutlass (witch is ALOT of cars) . and that is also a manual.

all the z's ive seen on ebay are to far away from me and my mom wont let me buy a car without first seeing it and test driveing it. but there is a 86 300zx turbo being sold localy in the paper for $3500. it has 136000 miles. i think thats a little to much for it and i could find one cheaper. any thoughts?

and if anyone is selling there 300 in the maryland area for under $3000 give me a heads up. and youll most likely have a buyer.

thanks again
-Kris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.