ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of a head gasket job on my '83 and was wondering if it's ok to re-use the bolts. Mabee there is a different Tourq spec for used bolts.

Also, I was wondering if header wrap would work instead of those heat shrouds? All of the bolts broke off in the manifold, and I don't feel like pulling a half dozen frozen bolts. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanx,

Dylan

Calgary, Alberta

·
Registered
287 Posts
i have reused head bolts with out a problem...never heard from any authority that they stretch. torque them to the 61 ft/lbs then drive it a few hundrem miles and check them again. good luck.

jon

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, looks like that was my only option, and was down to the local parts store, and they were not even available. Anyways, back to the garage with me.

Thanx

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've bought several Z's and 510's over the years that had blown head gaskets. I always reused the head bolts and never had a problem.

8,102 Posts
Be careful

I have reused headbolts and had them break on the retorque.
If they are pitted much at all I would recommend not reusing them.
Clean the thread holes and the bolt threads very good and then put oil on the bolts and torque them to 60 ft lbs.

Later,norm

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oil on the bolts - NOT

A recent thread on another group mentioned that the specs are listed DRY and that if you oil them you should torque them about 40% less than dry. Also, unless things are dramatically different for Z engines, you should torque them incrementally, that is maybe 30-40 lbs, then 50, then 61. Not all at once.

New bolts should be available at Nissan and from Motorsports, Victoria British, etc. They aren't expensive and are worth it if one breaks as you're retorquing it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Re: Oil on the bolts - NOT

I was looking at retorqueing my head bolts and the '74 FSM calls out tightening head bolts in three steps.

1st Turn: 29 ft-lb
2nd Turn: 43 ft-lb
3rd Turn: 47-61 ft-lb

It also gives a sequence to follow starting with the two opposing center bolts then the next two opposing toward the front of the engine followed by the two toward the rear of the engine - from center and so on, working your way out from the center toward each end of the head. There is also a loosening sequence that differs from the tightening sequence. FWIW

RLS30

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.