ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding the turbo engine in my 240. I replaced the fuel tank with a drag cell which has two openings for duel fuel pumps. I plan on buying 2 performance fuel pumps to replace the TWO stock pumps that are on it now. Will this create too much fuel pressure or will the fuel regulator and computer control it? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
> I'm rebuilding the turbo engine in my 240. I
> replaced the fuel tank with a drag cell
> which has two openings for duel fuel pumps.
> I plan on buying 2 performance fuel pumps to
> replace the TWO stock pumps that are on it
> now. Will this create too much fuel pressure
> or will the fuel regulator and computer
> control it? Any help will be appreciated.
> Thanks.

Rick...
You need to be sure that your fuel return line has the capacity to allow the regulator to 'dump' the amount of fuel required to control the fuel pressure at idle. Once you have the pumps plumbed, you can check this by watching the fuel rail pressure with just one pump running, and then adding the second. If the rail pressure rises, then you don't have a big enough return line.

If this is the case, all is not lost. You could run a pressure switch, and only run then second pump when you are running boost.

A couple of questions - when you say that you are buying two performance pumps, you did mean high performance FI fuel pumps, right? You must be able to maintain high pressure, as well as high flow, which is a little harder to do. Also, there are performance FI pumps out there that should be capable of supplying more than 600hp worth of fuel, while maintaining the required high (>65psi) rail pressures. Do you really need the added weght and complexity of a second pump?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.