ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1979 completely stock 280ZX. Can I use a stock turbo, intake manifold, and all the other parts from a 1981 turbo 280ZX on my stock 1979 engine? If so, is anybody interested in putting there turbo system for sale?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Is it possible to bolt an 81' turbo to a 79' N

> I have a 1979 completely stock 280ZX. Can I
> use a stock turbo, intake manifold, and all
> the other parts from a 1981 turbo 280ZX on
> my stock 1979 engine? If so, is anybody
> interested in putting there turbo system for
> sale?

if you are travelling down the turbo charging road be ready to put in some hours. You would do better replacing the entire engine with the turbo motor and all. I am working on a turbo set-up for my 77Z.Very expensive! Also consider using the transmission from the turbo motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Re: not a good idea

> if you are travelling down the turbo
> charging road be ready to put in some hours.
> You would do better replacing the entire
> engine with the turbo motor and all. I am
> working on a turbo set-up for my 77Z.Very
> expensive! Also consider using the
> transmission from the turbo motor.

v. martinez is so correct. there are many reasons nissan used a completely different moter for a turbo, and they don't all have to do with warranties. i just got my new turbo motor for my '78 and it was done right. it is the only way to go when you take that path...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Is it possible to bolt an 81' turbo to a 79' N

> I have a 1979 completely stock 280ZX. Can I
> use a stock turbo, intake manifold, and all
> the other parts from a 1981 turbo 280ZX on
> my stock 1979 engine? If so, is anybody
> interested in putting there turbo system for
> sale?
Not to be the voice of doom and gloom, but it would be **** near impossible. Unless you a very, very competent home mechanic, and have years of spare time on your hands, don't bother. Besides, that NA L28 block is not designed for the Turbo.
Besides that, you'll need the turbo computer, afm, injectors, fuel pump, wiring harness etc, etc, etc, Why not buy a Turbo? They're not that expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Is it possible to bolt an 81' turbo to a 79' N

> Not to be the voice of doom and gloom, but
> it would be **** near impossible. Unless you
> a very, very competent home mechanic, and
> have years of spare time on your hands,
> don't bother. Besides, that NA L28 block is
> not designed for the Turbo.
> Besides that, you'll need the turbo
> computer, afm, injectors, fuel pump, wiring
> harness etc, etc, etc, Why not buy a Turbo?
> They're not that expensive.
We once converted a botched up turbo conversion back to the stock nonturbo setup. The customer's
car kept blowing headgaskets, as the compression ratio is higher on the nonturbo. This customer had paid a shop 3500.00 to screw his car up.
we charged him 1000.00 to make it right. I would try to find a decent turbo car, or at least a turbo engine, complete with everything, to drop in . Joe
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top