ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I've been out tooling in my 86 300zx n/a. My question is when my gauge gets to zero how much cushion do I have left. I know that bitchy betty is supposed to come on and tell me that my fuel is low but she hasn't done it yet. I drove it pretty low-gauge pointed to E and she's quiet as a mouse. When my guage gets to E in my other car you're already walking. I've noticed that theres a smaller guage located below the original which i assumed was to kick in once I got down to 1/4 tank to meter it down farther but I've never seen it move so i assume it's broken. I don't much like running out of gas so I try to to get close but I think it's something that would be handy to know.

·
Registered
657 Posts
on my car, sometimes she works and sometimes she doesnt......... but if she is working correctly she's supposed to say you need gas when there is 2 1/8 US gallons left in the tank...........

·
Registered
304 Posts
on my 86 na the gas gauge works but is inaccurate. next time your car says that you are close to empty, fill it up all the way. the gas tank is 19 gallons so you should be able to tell how accurate your gauge is. on my car betty doesnt start bitchin until i am at 1/4 tank or about 4.25 gallons remaining. that is also the point in which my gas light comes on.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
mine comes on when I have 2 gallons displayed left (but after fill up it appears I usually have 3, so my guage is one gallon off)

·
Registered
386 Posts
no empty is not empty my gauge says e and im at about 2 gallons. and betty starts jabbering away.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I beleive that is how it is with most, maybe all, vehicles. Empty is not empty....think of it in aviation terms. Empty=Bingo fuel...just enough to get where you need to go.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My gauge works differently in summer vs winter...sometimes have more gas left at EMPTY than at other times.

Ran out recently...and the Z...unlike some other cars gives you a warning....

* pulled off the road on a sideways slope....car wouldn't run very well for the first 1/4 mile...had to shut the pump off and then on again to get it to go

* drove another 10 miles and it cut out going around a corner

* quit running going straight down the road about 8 miles later

Probably shouldn't try this at home...not good on the pump???

So if the pump loses prime...find the nearest station.....stat!

Post Edited (Feb 26, 2:33am)

·
Registered
37 Posts
i got a '84 n/a and once it gets under a quater it will read less than it has(read empy when it still has 10 liters or so(i live in australia) )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.