ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally in a financial position to start considering building my dream car... 240Z w/ a Corvette LS1 V8 and 6spd trans. I saw a picture of a V8 conversion a long time ago that had huge flared out fenders and meaty tires and instantly knew I had to do it. I guess my question is: Is putting the all aluminum LS1 V8 (345 hp) into a custom 240Z totally insane? Has anyone heard of anyone doing anything similar? Would I be better off using an older 350 and squeezing hp out of it or what? Thanks in advance for your opinions/suggestions.
Myke Cox - Speeding Ticket Collector

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
If thats your thing, do it. The aluminum engine has got to be a better weight choice for the Z. You would be blazing your own trail on a lot of tech stuff, though. Is there an affordable wiring and ECU module available for the swap?
Personally, I think you ought to use a 260 or 280 car as they are less desirable, or at least less valuable, than the 240.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>You are totally insane, someone commit this guy

Just kidding! The guy I originally bought my motor from sold it to transplant an LT-1 with the T-56(6-speed). He has had nothing but problems with the car. The swap for him was not too bad as far as fit goes, but he has not been able to keep the thing on the road for even a day without something going wrong. He had the computer reprogrammed because it was not being run in the camaro and the Z lacks some of the inputs that the computer required. I would say he is not happy at this time with the constant problems. Just turbocharge your L-28, you can get more power and the turbo kick is great.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: You are totally insane, someone commit this

Thanks for the input. I figured the computer and electronics would be the highest hurdle, and I guess maybe the hassle might not be worth it... Do you have a way to contact that guy with the LT1? 'Cause I'd like to chat with him. Anyways, I was talking w/ someone this weekend and he said that he heard of an old aluminum V8 Olds or Buick used in the early '80s (i think he said a 289?). I kinda wanted to go w/ a 350 just because of all the aftermarket for it, but I don't want my Z to handle like a truck. Have you heard of any older alum. V8's that I might be able to use w/out all of the computer problems?
Thanx for your help,
Myke ('80 280ZX)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: RE:

The engine you are referring to was stock in the 72-73 (i think) pontiac LeMans. Aside from being impossible to find, it was NOT a sleeved block and if you have to bore it you get past the hardened surface and the block doesn't last very long. I agree with everyone else. You can build a monster L28 turbo performance engine for about the same as converting to a stock 350 and keep your handling.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: RE:

Pontiac didn't offer an aluminum block in those cars. They were big block engines, cast iron and heavy. This is a wonderful forum, I get to talk about my first love and my new/old love!!! Pontiac and Z. I've got a 69 convertible LeMans w/400 and a 71 Formula Firebird w/ a 455. Both engines can easily achieve high 12's low 13's with cam, gear and header upgrades. Thank you for letting me share that with you! I have no forum to play on for the ponchos.

·
Registered
382 Posts
RE: You are totally insane, someone commit this

The aluminum block you are reffering to is a 216 cubic inch from a early 60's buick. It was also in the Triump TR8. A 350 with aluminum heads, and intake weighs less than a Z 6! With JTR mounts, the engine sits further back than the 6, which puts more wieght to the rear where you need it. So handling is the same or better than a 6.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.