ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so about two weeks ago my car started doing funny things. it is a 76 280 2+2. It no longer started every time I tryed. It usually (now) just clicks, it takes about five to seven tries before the starter will accutlly turn. I thought that I might have a dead spot on the cylinoid but don't know. Any ideas?

Also, last weekend I had an odd occurance. I drove over to a friends house every thing seemed to be fine. when I came out there was not enough juce in the battery to start. My atl. light works. I know this becuase the next day I was driving on the free way and the belt blew. I thougt that now all my problems were fixed new belt. well I still have this problem.. I went shopping the other day, four stores to stop at. It started drove to the first store(about 15 min). wouldn't start. push start and drove to the next store(about 5 min) Come out starts no prob. not even the five to seven clicks. drove to the next store three min starts no prob. drive to the next one 5 min. doesn't start. push it again drive home. later that night no juice. What the **** is going on? I have even tryed charging the battery. had it check, got a clean bill of health, it is only 9 months old.

PLEASE if anyone has any clues. thanks.
Zach

· Registered
87 Posts
You've probably already done it, but if you have a new belt, check its tight. As for your starting problem, the clicking is probably the solinoid (Cylinoid? We need to install spell check on zcar.com!!). Although there are other causes, mine had your symptoms when one of the wires to the solinoid became slightly loose, and was making intermitant contact. This explains. It was a male/female conection, which is made tighter by squeezing with pliers. Check all of your electrical conections associated with starting are tight. At some stage, I'm going to replace all electrical conections on my car in a fit of rage because I'm sick of the **** things doing this!

I am by no means an electrical expert, so if everyone else tells you something else, believe them not me!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
497 Posts
I had the same problem, it got to the point where the thing wouldn't even start. Found the positive battery connection was badly corroded as well as greasy. So that there was a very bad connection. Just cleaning the terminal and connector real well fixed the problem.

Good luck,
Aren

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.