ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Interior Dye

442 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Z-Fan 
#1 ·
I've seen some posts on interior dye before, but I have some questions. First of all, I am looking to refresh my interior quarter panels (the BIG plastic ones) and the taillight panel. Due to the fact that I can only get the left side panel, and it is $140 plus shipping and taxes, I think dye is the solution.

I'm wondering how good it looks when panels are dyed. Mine are a bit tired looking with a few marks here and there. First of all, is this dye durable, or does it rub off when you have sweaty hands or something? I don't want it getting all over everything. Also, is the finish consistent or is it stained looking?

BTW My interior is black

Thanks,

Matt

#2 ·
Matt,

Go ahead and dye it with confidence. I have used this on several vehicles over the years and it really does a great job. There are several companies that make it and most auto parts places and even Wal-Mart carry it. I have sprayed seats, dashes, interior panels, and door panels and have never seen a single instance where it has ever rubbed off. One thing you might want to consider is to spray it, let it sit a day, and hit it again. I can rarely get a total coverage in a single application and this is very true if you are going from say white to black. Also, most of the products recommend you you use a vinyl prep product prior to spraying. Use it, it is worth the extra few bucks.

I am sure you will be happy with the results. I recently changed a set of seats from ivory to black and they came out perfect (the dye I used came from Pep Boys) and my neighbor had our upholstery guy redo the entire interior of an 85 Cutlass, both the cloth and the plastic/vinyl, and it now looks like a new car.

Good Luck

Charles

#4 ·
Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Spray can you can find at Azone Wal-Mart works well...

eastwoodco.com also has some on the web site and good instructions on how-to can be found there also...

Z U V8ter

#5 ·
I used SEM brand on my 78Z and it came out bee-yoo-tee-full...painted all interior panels including the small panels under the dash & the console...original color was black...I used "Palomino", a fawn/light tan color...used 3/4 coats...covered perfectly and no runs or sags...I too suggest the primer and clean the panels several times...somebody may have used Armorall or similar stuff in the past...these will prevent good paint adhesion!!!...Good Luck... :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.