ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting Fuel Problem....take a look

389 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ram75280z 
#1 ·
Well heres the cunundrum....

I filled up my gas tank one day, droped some octance booster/injector cleaner in there, because my car's idle has been like really nasty lately. So i go driving, and wow!! my car is idleing where it should ( besides the ocasional spurt from my exhaust leak...but thats a different problem ). Now i drive around thinking it was my injectors they just needed cleaned, and while stopped at a stop-light. Someone tells me my gas cap is missing.

So i head back to the gas station, put the cap back on. And my idle goes back to doing what it did before. Dropped down to about 500, and sparaticly up to 750.

Now what the **** is goin on here? fuel pressure regulator all F-ed up? any ideas? thanks

#7 ·
vent lines

Look at your carbon can (passanger front of engine bay). There should be a line labled vent, that will go to a hard line that runs back to the fuel tank. Unhook the rubber line going to it and blow it out with compressed air. You can also change the filter in the bottom of the carb can... unhook the mount, turn over the can and you will see a filter. Walmart or any auto store will have a replacement. To remove the filter, just grab it and pull it out.

#8 ·
It sounds like to me that the exhaust leak is creating havok with your oxygen sensor (O2). If you have a exhaust leak anywhere near or especially before the O2 sensor it will effect you air-fuel mixture. I would say that since your idle went up with the gas cap off then you definetly have clear lines to the tank (vacum leak). A vacum leak will usually make the idle higher than it is set at normally. You can check this by simply pulling the hose that goes to the charcoal canister from the intake manifold. If you pull this hose off and you idle goes to where it was with the gas cap off then your vent lines are probably clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.