ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok----I have the 81ZXT and am about to put an intercooler into it. I found an intercooler off a VW which measures 14in long(not including the tanks) 9in tall and 3.5 in thick. Is this sufficient for the intercooling. I can't complain it has 14 horizontal rows and only cost me $25. Can any help with details on the piping? I want to locate right behind the valance. What type of material? Can anyone send some pics of the routing and locations? Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Ok, here we go.
Of course the best, and i mind you MOST expencive, material for piping would be mandrel bent alluminium pipes. Cuz those alone might cost you around 200-300$ other choices are: Steel, and even PVC piping. Just make sure it is smooth and even inside.

As for how to route it - We would really need to see a drawing of the cooler to see its shape and location of the in/out ports. Also does your Z has ground effects, do you want this thing to be out of site? It all matters, just give us a bit more info and we will happily help you out.

Eugene '83ZXT

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As for the inlet and outlet they are both on the same side. This is along the length-wise section of the unit. One is facing directly up and the other at 60 degree angle facing toward the rear of the intercooler. The dimensions are 14inches wide-----9 inces tall and 3.5 inches thick. Inlet and outlet are 2.25 inches across. I was thinking of using the PVC for cost reasons, but what about connecting joints? Should the joins all be rubber including and bends? If PVC joints are used for bends, can a PVC cement hold under the pressure? On more thing, I plan on removal of the Airbox, but not the AFM, will this help in piping for the intercooler? HELP!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for the inlet and outlet they are both on the same side. This is along the length-wise section of the unit. One is facing directly up and the other at 60 degree angle facing toward the rear of the intercooler. The dimensions are 14inches wide-----9 inces tall and 3.5 inches thick. Inlet and outlet are 2.25 inches across. I was thinking of using the PVC for cost reasons, but what about connecting joints? Should the joins all be rubber including and bends? If PVC joints are used for bends, can a PVC cement hold under the pressure? On more thing, I plan on removal of the Airbox, but not the AFM, will this help in piping for the intercooler? Also, I plan on using ground effects and insight I think would be best for cooling. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Help is here.

Ok.
You would need to use silicone tubes, not ruber one. And clamp them on with stainless steel clams.

Hummmmm, not the best positioning of in/out holes. You will probably need to do a bit of pluming around. Sorry. You can put cooler in front of radiator (My setup for now), remove washing fluid tank for lights, bust peice if metal, and BINGO! You are there. Or you can mount it in the air dam opening (My setup in the future. Much better airflow), and run longer piping from under the radiator. Chise is yours.

As of air box. GET RID OF IT!!! Just get 90 deg. bent pipe, stick it in AFM, bolt K&N on, and you are good to go.

Best of luck.

Eugene '83ZXT(S?)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Help is here.

Thanks Eugene,
So PVC would be the cheap alternative? Silicone hose to make the seams? Why not rubber? I think I have the routing down, just not the connections. I am going to run the pipe from the turbo down and under the radiator to the intercooler. This will allow a easier run up and around the side of the radiator and to the intake manifold. With the way the outlets are situated on this intercooler this seems the most logical path. What was your piping material?
Thanks
81Turbo(Scott)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
You do need silicone.

Hi, and your welcome.

Why not ruber? Cuz silicone is much tougher material - read heat, and element resistant. It aint cheap but that is where you should not be cheap. It is reusable and you can get a nice color you want.

My pipes are aluminium. It was a lot of dinars to buy them. But it is the best, and onse i get to polish them it will look really neat. BTW buy some heat resistant tape and wrap that pvc piping to prevent it from engine heat.

Good luck keep me posted.

Eugene

Try this: <A HREF=http://www.bblink.com/hose/cooler.htm>http://www.bblink.com/hose/cooler.htm</A>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.