Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
What Should I get first a Intercooler or the regulator from bell. I have up[graded my pump to a MSD unit Tapped the bottom of my tank for the pump now looking for more. I'm running about 6psi and would like to go more..
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks Ron

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
get the intercooler. Without the intercooler you can't turn up the boost anymore. No more boost, then no need for more fuel. Get the intercooler, then when you need more fuel get the regulator. You are using turbo injectors at least?
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Fac1973,
Depends on how much more boost you want to run. Both of these mods are important and trust me you will need them both. You should have gone with the intercooler and regulator before you touch that pump but that is another story. I dont know the capacity of you fuel system but as far as I know if the turbo system comes with the engine, the fuel sustem can handle a little more boost without complaining. Most experts would agree that 6psi is achievable without intercooling but anything beyond that point just narrows your tuning window. Go for the intercooler if your car is not equiped with one. I have seen a lot of people in this forum use the Starion IC with sucess. Maybe someone who knows more about your car can give you more specific info. on this matter. Hope this helps.
Huy 260Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>Catch 22</b>

You can get the intercooler and raise the boost, but you won't have enough fuel. Or, you can get the FMU and raise the boost. You will have the fuel, but the intake charge will be too hot leading to detonation. I would say the intercooler. The intercooler alone, without the additional rise in boost will add hp. It does this by giving you a cooler charge(denser charge) giving you more horsies.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: Intercooler Or Bel Reg ?</b>

If you decide to go with a rising rate regulator,don't get the Bell. I've had some very bad luck with them. First off, they aren't very repeatable. I have a fuel gauge inside my Z and testing showed that the Bell varied fuel pressure dramatically ,even though the boost pressure remained the same. After about a month it finally stuck in the fully closed position. I'm running a high pressure, high volume fuel pump, so when this happened it sent my fuel pressure skyrocketing. It immediately pegged the gauge at 100psi. I estimate pressure to have gone above 150psi, because it ruined all six injectors and the gauge. This seems to be a very common, and dangerous problem with them.I've seen this happen to numerous people over the years. I highly recommend the Paxton. It's a precisely engineered piece. It's pressure settings are very repeatable,and it looks a whole lot better.

Enjoy the ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.