ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '77 280z. The engine isn't original and I'm not sure what year the engine is from. The car currently has a hard time holding idle. Took it to a Z mechanic and they believe it's the MAF sensor.

The current MAF sensor in my car is part # A31-601-000 (3-bolt, 7-pin).

Would it really matter if I replaced the part with # A31-605-0000 ? I only ask because 605 is in stock and 601 seems like it would take a month to get.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Check this YouTube video. The Burkey Vision YouTube series has a ton of great information on the 280z and 280ZX fuel injection system. You need to make sure the air flow meter has the same number of pins otherwise your car may not run right, or it won't even bolt in without modification.

Reactions: originalzboy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I should have been more clear with my post. Both the A31-601-000 and A31-605-000 are in the 7-pin, 3-bolt configuration but there is conflicting information on their compatibility. I was checking different vendors and Zcarsource told me that the only thing that matters is the number of pins and bolts but thezstore told me I should stick to the same AFM as the one I have. There is an eBay listing for a MAF sensor and lists the part as A31-601-000 / A31-605-000.

I'm just wondering if there was any difference between the two and if they are interchangeable.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
First of all the AFM is not a MAF. They're all AFM's 75-83. In 84 they went to a MAS. This is sort of a technicality but it pays to call parts by their proper name. So this Z mechanic you took it to for diagnostics couldn't tell you the AFM differences or just didn't want to or what?
Now all AFM's from 75-77 are interchangeable regardless of the A code. If you have a 7 pin AFM it will fit, it's just a matter of whether or not the AFM is in good shape and calibrated properly. The 5 pin AFM's won't work on the older ones because those 2 missing pins are for the fuel pump contact points and your car has to have them. They changed that safety system in 78. By the way I do sell rebuilt AFM's, ECU's, Injectors, AAR's, and fuel pumps for these cars. I give a discount on almost all parts to zcar.com users as long as they tell me that they use this forum. The non turbo AFM's sell for 199.95 + a refundable core charge. Z man of Washington 360-668-2979

1 - 4 of 4 Posts