ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new header for my '78, and on my intake, I have to have the surface that mounts to the engine machined so the gasket won't leak. I need about 1/8" taken off to make it match the header's thickness. The problem is that I am in Germany in the military, I've only found one guy that can do it, and he wants the equivilant of $150. How much would it cost to have the work done in a machine shop in the States (probably in Florida) if I ship it there?

Thanks in advance
Mike Sullivan

·
Registered
402 Posts
Get some washers and grind one side off just short of the inside dia. hole. Install the washers so that the ground off side clears the intake manifold and the intact side is on the exhaust flange area. This will work fine and save you the machining
expense.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Don't machine the intake....

Use the ground down washers advice.

Use stainless steel washers as they will be less affected by heat. When you get the correct thickness install one complete stainless steel washer bridging the intake manifold and the ground down washers before you install the nuts / bolts.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
DON'T do it!

Use the washers! This is one of the many bitches I have about the non-Japan market headers. Why is is that only the Japanese can make a header that actually bolts up using all the stock hardware INCLUDING THE GASKET?

Don't cut your intake down, get some good washers, or have some small 1/8" tabs tacked on the header flange to give proper thickness in the area of the intake manifold for proper flange action of the factory thick washers. Very poor header design...

If you are in the military, have a friend send you a header from Japan. Either that, or get friendly with a Loadmaster on a C17, they have a way of getting things from here to there...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
C130 rolling down the strip

airborne daddy gonna take a little trip to japan
to pick up some headers at the local speed shop!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.