ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1980 280ZX there is a fan that blows air onto the intake. My question is what might happen if I remove it? I am fixing up a vlave cover I pulled form a junk yard and want NISSAN OHC to show better. I knew people do this just wondering it there is any problems. I live in Nebraska so over heating isn't a huge problem.

Thanks
TY

· Registered
399 Posts
If i'm not mistaken that is the injector cooling fan. It was used to help stop a fuel problem Nissan had with their cars in the south in the early 80's. Turns out the problem was with the WILCO oil company. Wich many people used. They were adding alcohol to the gas. That was the problem. At least that was what my father told me.

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Maybe nothing. Maybe a restart problem. You'll have to figure out if you are affected.

When I was a kid living in Nebraska, it used to get hot in the summer. You might not notice anything at all. If your car runs roughly after you popped into McDonalds, then clears up after you manage to get it moving again, then you know what caused it.

There are other ways. Do a search in the archives for heat soak, or vapor lock. That fan isn't the prettiest thing in the world, but it does actually do something.

· Registered
5,340 Posts
are you guys talking about that little fan in front of the radiator? mine quit on me, or so i think. i thought it was an aux cooling fan that came on after the car was shut off to help cool it down. i'm in CO and don't overheat so i took it off. i asked a nissan dealer how much for a new one and they said that little 10" plastic fan cost around $400! i unhooked mine and took it all out. haven't had a problem, but i don't think it worked since i got the car. if i'm not talking about the same thing could someone please tell me if i am messing something up too.

· Registered
748 Posts
It only comes on when your coolant reaches 230 degrees after the engine's shut off. Shouldn't really be a problem to remove it; I live in the south, and even in the summer, I had to actually test the fan to make sure it still worked (In other words, it's never come on in the time I've owned it). And I'm even running with a hotter thermostat, though admittedly, THAT did cause me hot restart problems in the summer, but the fan never came on . 230 degrees, even with the engine off, is pretty bloody hot. Try removing it...you won't hurt anything.

· Registered
602 Posts
If you have never...

had a vapor lock problem, then I would disconnect it first and see if there are any problems before you remove it. It serves a very important function which can be realized by searching the archives under 'vapor lock'. If 'winter gas' doesn't cause a problem where you live, then sure, it looks better off.

steve 77

· Registered
123 Posts
Re: If you have never...

The L28 block has the intake mounted over the exhaust. Along with a long heat trapping hood, this proved to be a problem with vapor lock. The fan is ment to cool the intake to reduce this problem. You can probably take your fan off but if you ever get stuck on a hot day it will suck. When I was a kid my dad had a ford motorhome that had constant problems with vapor lock. All I remember is many hours sitting on the side of the road waiting for the engine to cool down. I'd keep the fan, nothing is more annoying than waiting on the side of the road in a sweet car.
Oh yeah we live in Canada and it wasn't always when it was hot out.

· Registered
19 Posts

Mine had been unhooked since I purchased the vehicle in 1995, I went ahead and removed it a few months ago, but it ran fine before when it was unhooked. I took mine off for the same reason, I Powder coated black a Valve cover, she's a beaut now!!!!

· Registered
613 Posts

My 280zx when i got it did not have hte motor. Now I live in Alberta Canada, It gets fairly cold and fairly hot up here. Now I don't drive the Z in the winter, thats just stupid, but I do run the engine. Anyways I drove it a few times in teh summer, whe ni was gettign finishing touches done on it. Once it was real hot up here, in American temp readings, it was in the 90's, and I had no vapor lock issues, but this summer she will be out the whole time, so I will be able to feed out more info.

-Emir

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.