ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was lookin at my intake on my car today. and i got an idea. like could i take off the stock air box and intake muffler thing and just install a filter cone, with a 3 inch rubber couplin in the back, to the intake pipe thing? i measred it and its 3 in diameter. sorry if in not being techinical enough... please tell me if i need to specify more.. http://www.redz31.com/turbo/part2.html look at the 1st pick, i was thinkin about doin waht he did is tha a good idea? will it mess with my MAF or computer at all?

·
Registered
353 Posts
i did the same excat thing and actually you can get that exact filter at walmart as i had the same one or pepboys i think its made by apc if its an n/a it will do the trick but i found out that it made more noise then power when i was normally aspirated ande you dont even have to get the muffler pipe if you do want to but i think it might hit the hood when closed if you dont , i think its generally better than the stock airbox.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
UMMMM.....Thats more or less what everyone else has done for the intake mod. There are several ways to do it. You can remove the stock box and connect the filter to the resonator. The resonator doesn't restrict flow so the only reason to remove it is to make noise. Your second option is to remove both the stock box and resonator and then place a 3 inch diameter pipe in place of the resonator with a cone filter at the end. As for power gains the k&n filter gives 2-3hp over stock on the non turbo. Chances are you won't feel it at all.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
280Z/300ZX is right, but you might also see a small increase in gas mileage as well, for the money its a good modification.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks, i was thinin about doin this because 150$ for the fipk k&n kit is outrageous... ill but a 3" done off ebay, a cheapo one for like 10$ and see it all goes togeather good. then ill consider putting a high quaility cone in its place, thanks

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
The reason the FIPK is so expensive is becuase it's smog legal. It will all fit together good so don't waste the money on a chip filter as you may screw up your engine. Remember a cheap filter won't filter that good which might cause bad crap to get into your engine. Or it could be the other way that a cheap filter won't flow good and you'll end up hurting performance. Don't be cheap and get yourself either a K&N filter or Team Green filter.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeh ur right, i guess ill spend the 150

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just buy the K&N from Autozone or the internet, or get the Team Green from thespecshop.com and get a piece of muffler pipe. I did mine for about $65 and that was just the filter. The pipe was free. That FIPK is nice but not worth $150.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeh thats a good option too, thanks

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Here is the thing. You can make your own intake like I mentioned in the previous reply above or you can go with the FIPK. Now if you are worried about smog the cheapest and easiest thing to do is still make your own intake for 50-60 bucks and every two years at smog time just swap it back to stock. It's not hard to swap and only takes about 15 minutes. Also the best way to go about it is to just keep everything in place except swap the air box with the cone filter. Just attach the cone to the resonator. Most smog shops won't hassel you for that becuase they will see the only thing missing is the stock air filter and they know it won't cause any smog issues. Even still it's less time and effort to do just the air box rather than having to worry about the resonator as well. Besides, as I told you, the resonator doesn't restrict flow so there is no harm in keeping it there. Lastly don't stress too much about this as all you are worring about is 2-3hp so in the end you could theorticly just use a k&n drop in filter and probably not see a difference. In fact thats what I did on my 84. I had a cheap Matrix cone filter for years but it didn't clean as nicely as a k&n filter does so over time it got really clogged. So to avoid swapping every two years and to go with quality I just went back to stock using a k&n drop in style filter. The only difference is I left the snorkle piece off, the part that goes from the air box to the passenger side headlight. That way the air box is able to breath easier, you have the better flowing air filter, and it all looks stock. Honestly with my non turbo I can't tell the difference. If you have a turbo definetly go with a cone style filter but if you have a non turbo don't worry about what you do as any route you go will give you the same results.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The biggest restriction in the stock Z31 filter system would be the snorkel. Just looking at its small bore gives some clue as to its flow restriction. The hole in the radiator support panel, behind the carbon canister, is not work of art either.
For those that have the insatible urge to modify the stock setup, I suggest cutting the lower half of the stock housing to leave enough of the rim to secure and seal the stock paper panel element. There is plenty of intake area and the air it pulls will be just as hot as that pulled by some cone accessory.
For those that want a cleanalbe element, get a K&N panel. It's a fairly common size.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks, im aware of the little hp gain, but im planing on doing a turbo swap in the next year or so, if everything goes good with my job and grades and all. so i thought id go ahead and get the little mods out of the way, tahnks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.