ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an intake system for a 86 300zx with no turbo? where can I purchase it? and who can I go to to have custom headers made for my car? What kind of exhaust should I run with headers and intake or do I even need headers to get more power out of my Z, Im kinda lost. Ive been told that headers wont make a difference and then I hear they will make a big difference. I just dont want spend the money on a turbo motor and upgrade kit($4000-$6,000)

Post Edited (Mar 18, 2:09pm)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Turbo is the way to go. You can buy a K&N FIPK for around $150 from various retailers. Or you can just buy a Team Green or K&N filter that has a 3" diameter. MSA headers are the way to the go for a non turbo, with either 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch exhaust.

Your pricing is WAY off for the turbo conversion. It might cost $4k if you get all new parts and have someone else install it. Your best bet is to find someone that's parting out a turbo Z, or find a cheap turbo Z yourself, and do the swap. You can either just bolt the turbo stuff onto your engine, or you can swap the turbo engine into your car. The only main difference will be the turbo motor will have less compression. You can probably find all the parts you need for <$1000.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I would just make the intake as I did. Basicly get a 3 inch diamter pipe that is about 1-1.5 feet long and a k&n filter. Remove the stock air box and resonator and there you go. As for headers they do help a good bit. You'll want to get them from motorsport auto at 1800-633-6331 or www.zcarparts.com. Also spend the extra money and get them jethot coated. I think motorsport auto only charges 75 dollars extra but it's well worth it for various reasons. As for exhuast a 2.25 or 2.5 inch diamter exhuast from the header back with a high flow cat would be the best.

As for the turbo I agree that 4-6k sounds a bit high. If you are like most people then you'll have to pay to have the swap done which is where most of the expense is. Still you can buy used turbo motors for about 600 bucks and probably make it out when done spending under 3k. If power is what you want then just do the turbo conversion. For the money you will spend on headers and installing them, exhuast, and intake you'll have been able to pay for all the parts needed for the turbo swap. With my performance mods I have about 2k into it having intake, exhuast, high flow cat, headers, and JWT ECU. For 2k I could have bought an entire good running condition turbo car and just modded that car but I didn't go that route for my own personal reasons. Basicly what it comes down to is that for the cost of basic mods on the non turbo you could buy a complete turbo car. Then you could have 2 300zx's or sell off the non turbo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.