ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fairly recently, Brian Little shared an intake air system by cutting an oval hole in the stock air-filter box and inserting a rubber plumbing union (3" or 4"??). Someone was concerned about rain entering the filter box and Brian indicated that he had had no problem, as of that date.

I was thinking, on my way to work today, that a small-sliding door made of, perhaps, a fairly thin (tapered at the end, if necessaryt)stainless steel or alunimum (polished for slickness, if necessary, shaped like the oval rubber part, but a little larger, and operated by a push and-pull cable (with a knob) could possibly solve this uneasiness. I would play with this, but right now, I am working diligently on my 260 and I do not have a 280 hood for my 240 that needs lots of work. Think about it. Ernest (240/260Z)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another cable, but it will be a little shorter and easier to manage. The small door or sliding plate could, perhaps, be greased with silicone lubricant, K&G Filter oil, etc. and even spring-loaded to assist in closing, but not enough tension to close automatically, but to take some stress off the cable while pushing it. As I mention my first post above, the front edge could be tapered and a small fraction of it could be slightly jammed between the hood and the rubber-plumbing union. This would ease the "starting-close" position, if this makes any sense.Ernest (240/260Z)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Im not quite sure what you mean by all this sliding plate stuff, im thinking you mean a summer/winter valve like the original. On my 240z, i cut the airbox right after the stock valve, then opened up the hole, and welded a short piece of 3" exhaust tubing to it. I then used a 3" plumbing coupler to join this to a longer exhaust section, which connects to a 90 plumbing elbow, with a big 6" k&n filter on the end. I have no valve, but i havent had any need for it. I can send you pics if you like.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: I have a better solution.

I just completed an install of a cold air induction system for 1/4 the cost of the one being offer by Motor Sports. I found that my cold air induction system looks better and will yield more horse power. First the K&N Filter used by motorsports causes too much break up of the air flow inside. There are new technology filters now being offer that flows really smooth. Also I can get the Filters in different colors.

Best yet you can get rid of that ugly air box and hook the induction tube directly to the boot before the Air Flow meter. It will take you 15minutes or less to install and it looks great...

I'm sending my cold air induction system from motorsports back its too expensive and the air flow inside is not the best that it could be...

How much would you pay for my air induction system $59.00/$69.00/79.00
Let me know!! If I get enought intrest I will approach the manufacture and sale you guys the system.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I hate cutting up air boxes. How about something simple? hmmmm....I just route the hot air pickup tube to the front rad support hole about halfway down. Open or close the winter/summer switch as you see fit. Summer route tube to the front. Winter, reconnect it to the manifold heat plate. No cutting, bending, cables, rain infiltration, or spare hoods!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: Intake Air ( Too much thinking)

My new intake contains a filter down tube to prevent water from entering the Air Flow meter.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ben, without going to http://www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/air.html to see the pictures that Brian posted, my post would not make much sense. For my proposed solution to the heavy-rainfall post to Brian,there would be a need to, perhaps, weld some rails on the back side of the hood (and, no doubt, burn the paint on top of the hood in the process)on which the sliding plate to slide under the hood vent on the 280Z and some type of hook to attach the helper spring. This does seem to be rather involved compared to what I read that some of you are doing. It sounds that you have a workable system and more simple approach. I would appreciate some pictures. Thanks for your input and help. Ernest

Monsterdog, I would be willing to pay $59-$79 (I know nothing about price and pricing) for a system. You mentioned Air-Flow meter. Would your system be simple to attach or affix to the early Zs, such as my 240? Monsterdog thanks for you willingness to help. Ernest

JohnH240, I'm with you on this. I am also somewhat stubborn when it comes to cutting on my Zs. Thanks for your input and continuous help as well. Ernest

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.