Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering...
I am in the middle of my 77 280Z 2+2 project and am trying to figure out how I will insure it. Best guess is that I will have 12,000 - 15,000 dollars into it by the end and I don't want to get screwed by an insurance company totaling the vehicle for 2,000 bucks after any sort of accident.

How do you guys/gals out there in Z-land insure your beloved Zcars?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I think that if you at least get an appraisal you will have a leg to stand on in arbitration. Not much help but it's all I can think of.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what I did

This may not work for you, but if you have an aerodynamic package and other accessories on the vehicle, it might...

I use State Farm for both homeowners and automotive insurance. When I got my Velo Rossa Kit, I was concerned about getting enough insurance coverage for the car. In Arizona, State Farm will cover a maximum of $7,500 for a 78Z and they don't appraise and provide coverage on hand-built vehicles, BUT... I had the body kit listed as an accessory on the car and added on a Rider to my homeowners policy. I'm covered up to $18,000!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: This is what I did

I just have liability and figure if its wrecked, I just need to find a new donor body and all my other parts will bolt on.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always thought that "Stated Value" policies were the way to go too. Then read a court case where a Mustang owner sued his Ins. Co becuase the policy stated that the Ins Co. could pay the Stated Value ----or --- the cash value. In his case, the Mustang's Stated Value was $15k, and the cash value was $2k. Seems that is the Insurance Standard Organizations (ISO) policy template.

He lost the case (he based his argument on constructed fraud --- he paid for something that had no value).

There is a different type of policy "Agreed Value" that apparently has some merit. Unfortunately, you have to read the fine print (ughh).

Mat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.