ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on getting a '76 280Z Datsun. What type of insurance can I expect? I live near Akron, Ohio. I don't want a lot of insurance...just enough to be street legal.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
> I'm planning on getting a '76 280Z Datsun.
> What type of insurance can I expect? I live
> near Akron, Ohio. I don't want a lot of
> insurance...just enough to be street legal.

To the insurance companies, the car you're buying is just a total hunk of junk, a rotten little rusted out Datsun, not worth you pulling over to avoid taking a p*ss in. Expect to pay just a tiny little bit of insurance, mebbe a few hundred a year tops, because nobody in the insurance industry thinks you'll be able to keep up with a Geo Metro, and hey, the wheels are gonna fall off next month anyways, and maybe he'll forget to cancel the insurance when that happens, so any way they look at it they win. Yeah.

Just don't get any tickets, and try not to attract any attention.

And just don't tell anybody.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I live in Santa Cruz, CA and the insurance places around
here don't charge a penny more for my 240Z than they do
for my pickup. I guess they don't realize what it is... since
they charge a lot more for other similar cars like Porches.

I'm 19 though, so I pay top $. Would you believe this? I
pay $1800 a year for my two cars! That's CA for you
I guess. :)

Good luck!
-rr

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pay over 2000 here in Maine

Yup, being young sucks. I'm 18, live in Maine and pay over 2000 a year for my 83 N/A.

> I live in Santa Cruz, CA and the insurance
> places around
> here don't charge a penny more for my 240Z
> than they do
> for my pickup. I guess they don't realize
> what it is... since
> they charge a lot more for other similar
> cars like Porches.

> I'm 19 though, so I pay top $. Would you
> believe this? I
> pay $1800 a year for my two cars! That's CA
> for you
> I guess. :)

> Good luck!
> -rr
> .

·
Registered
680 Posts
Re: I pay over 2000 here in Maine

> Yup, being young sucks. I'm 18, live in
> Maine and pay over 2000 a year for my 83
> N/A.

Hehe I live in Kern county Calfornia and I pay $120 a year for car inserance

·
Registered
195 Posts
$190 Bucks a month!

This is kinda one end of the extrema, but I I pay $190 bucks a month!

I have custom car insurance though, and it's coverd for $9,600. In order to get that money though, i have to total out my Z, and then sell it to the insurance company. I HATE THE THOUGHT OF THAT! Everything is covered. Engine, stereo, wheels, interior tranny, driveshaft, radiator, EVERYTHING. As long as I could show them a recipt for it, I am covered.

Hopefully I'll never have to sell my Z or I'll never crash it. I'm limited to how many miles I put on the car, (no more than 10,000 per yer), but since the car pretty much sits 3 months out of the year I'm alright, and have never went over. In fact, since i put the engine in, during August of '97, I only have 12,000 miles on it.

Like I said this is one end of the price list, I just thought i would throw one more link in the chain.

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
482 Posts

I'm paying $1000/yr for my 72 240Z. That's with 1 point on my record for my horrifying accident. It should go down next year due to my age. Guess there are some benefits to getting older. As far as getting the value of the car when it is crashed, you have two options. One is to get your car appraised, and then insure it for that amount. This is always more expensive. Second, you can keep all of your receipts and when you crash your car, depending on the severity, you can claim some items. Items such as tire/rims, stereo, some suspension and engine parts may be put into the settlement total as long as you HAVE RECEIPTS. This is what happened with my previous car. It was a 91 civic, and they wanted to settle for $4000, but when I showed them receipts for tires/rims, etc... it was raised to $6500. I didn't quite recover everything, but it was close. And in my mind I saved money, because I'm not insuring it for what it really was. I like insuring it at a beater rate, then slamming receipts on the table when it comes time to settlement. I don't know if all insurance companies operate the same, but this system has worked great for me.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Re: Insurance - Read & Weep

I run full coverage on my '77. High coverage, low deductibles, uninsured motorist and towing.
I also have a very long and clean driving record and insurance through USAA. You military folks will know about them. My insurance runs about $65/month.
With a clean record, and being over 25 and married, a Z car should cost no more than about $10/month more than a Toyota Corolla.
Phantom

·
Registered
804 Posts
Re: Insurance - Read & Weep

sorry guys. I've got a '97 chevy ext. cab with full coverage(ofcourse). It was $85 a month. I put my Z on with it also having full coverage. Not that it is worth anything more then blue book right now, but receipts will be coming in left and right soon. Well, all said and done, both vehicles on full coverage run me $108 a month. Not bad, but I have a flawless record(nock on wood). Someone else?

·
Registered
804 Posts
was that $120 a year? Lestat

> Hehe I live in Kern county Calfornia and I
> pay $120 a year for car inserance

·
Registered
195 Posts
Speedin-91mph in a 45mph zone doesn't help!

> I run full coverage on my '77. High
> coverage, low deductibles, uninsured
> motorist and towing.
> I also have a very long and clean driving
> record and insurance through USAA. You
> military folks will know about them. My
> insurance runs about $65/month.
> With a clean record, and being over 25 and
> married, a Z car should cost no more than
> about $10/month more than a Toyota Corolla.
> Phantom

HOLY COW!

I can't wait until I fit all of the criteria, for lower insurance rates. The only thing that I have going for me now, is that I just turned 21, and they lowered my rates, sort of.

They would have anyways, had I not gotten the traffic tickets. Speeding( 91mph in a 45mph zone). Before my ticket, I paid $190 a month, and it would have went down to $170, but the local Constable's Caprice caught me. Later this year when I renue, it will be $170 a month, so only have about 4 months left.

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
195 Posts
> I'm paying $1000/yr for my 72 240Z. That's
> with 1 point on my record for my horrifying
> accident. It should go down next year due to
> my age. Guess there are some benefits to
> getting older. As far as getting the value
> of the car when it is crashed, you have two
> options. One is to get your car appraised,
> and then insure it for that amount. This is
> always more expensive. Second, you can keep
> all of your receipts and when you crash your
> car, depending on the severity, you can
> claim some items. Items such as tire/rims,
> stereo, some suspension and engine parts may
> be put into the settlement total as long as
> you HAVE RECEIPTS. This is what happened
> with my previous car. It was a 91 civic, and
> they wanted to settle for $4000, but when I
> showed them receipts for tires/rims, etc...
> it was raised to $6500. I didn't quite
> recover everything, but it was close. And in
> my mind I saved money, because I'm not
> insuring it for what it really was. I like
> insuring it at a beater rate, then slamming
> receipts on the table when it comes time to
> settlement. I don't know if all insurance
> companies operate the same, but this system
> has worked great for me.

A guy I know, in Dallas, tried this very same thing, for his '77 Twin Turbo Trans AM. Well, He had it insured as a plain jane firebird with a 305. Well, when he totaled it, (Mayflower trucking company backed over the car in an 18-wheeler, when he went into his local grocery store!) he went to the insurance company with 10,000K worth of recipts, they gave him 2 options. They said, ok, we'll pay you, and then turn you in for insurance fraud, and take you through the court system, OR, you can put your papers back in your breifcase, and calmly walk away with a check for the amout you had the vehicle insured for. Well, he packed up his gear and walked away with a cool check for $1800. He then turned around and tried to buy the car back from State Farm Insurance company, when it went up for auction. Since they knew who he was, they stuck it to him, and charged him $6,000 to buy the car back!

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
135 in a 55

New Jersey, 1984, radar dector lit off and locked the brakes up.. Smoking tired going through the speed trap only made the more irritated..... I pay about 500 a year now on my 78 full coverage and all.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: radar detectors

I used to have a radar detector, all it did was send me into panics with every false detection, and alert me every time I had ALREADY been clocked. Those cops are smarter than they look, they don't turn on the radar until you're within range. I'm sure their eyes light up every time they see a sports car approaching.

I got more tickets when I used that darn thing than I do now without it..

> New Jersey, 1984, radar dector lit off and
> locked the brakes up.. Smoking tired going
> through the speed trap only made the more
> irritated..... I pay about 500 a year now on
> my 78 full coverage and all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.