ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to replace the Instrument Guage Bulbs on a 1976 280z. I had a short or surge that blew practically every bulb on the car including the instrument lights. Are the bulbs replaceable and do I have to pull the whole dash to get at them.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
FJM280z

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think I will take the other side here. Removing the center group of gauges is pretty easy. You remove the four screws holding the center vent panel and then the inner air defuser/spacer that bridges the gap between the heater/ac unit to the center vent panel and then each instrument has two screws and a wire connector. You may even be able to pull the bulb out of each gauge without having to remove the gauge. The bulbs pop out the back with the wire and its own bulb holder.

On the tach/speedo remove the tach first. There is a screw on the inside of the gauge face at the top and then one that has to be reached from under the dash with a long phillips screwdriver. After the tach is out again you may be able to reach in and change the speedo bulbs without removing it.

Now, one big problem will be if you have a dash cover. With a dash cover in place you cannot remove the tach/speedo from the front. However, if you have a good light and an inspection mirror you may be able to see the bulbs location by looking up from under the dash and then removing the bulbs from under the dash without having to pull it.

In the restoration of my 76 I am just now installing the dash with its new dash cap on and even after having done this job 3 times before I find it a pain in the neck. Try doing it the way I have described and then if you have to pull the dash.

Hope this helps

Charles

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Search for something like 4w bulbs... good write up on why to upgrade from 3.2 to 4 and how to paint the inside parts of gauges clean lens to get brighter light... should be in the last 60 to 30 days....

Z U V8ter

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I disagree with John510 and agree with Charles.

IMHO, removing the dash to access the bulbs is like removing the tire to check it's pressure. Yes, in some respects it's easier, but in other respects it is a sh**pot full of more problems some of which may turn into lethal nightmares.

The majority of the gauge lights are easily accessible from the center of the dash, after you've removed the heater control faceplate and the vent connector. The Speedo and Tach are best handled by removing one or the other to access the bulbs.

I replied to someone else wanting brighter gauge lights, here's the URL for that post:

http://zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=223646&t=223434

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Re: 4 watt bulbs:

I carry a 4 watt bulb that fits inside the gauge, most of the bulb capsules are too tall or bulbous to allow the socket to be reinstalled. Make sure to clean the inside of the green diffusers as these get kinda cruddy over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.