ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yes. You need a shop manual, spring compressors, and some deep sockets but it's pretty straightforward. Just be careful to make sure the spring compressors take all the tension off the top before you take it off, search through the archives here, and take your time. If you're unsure of what you're doing, get a friend who's done it before watch over your shoulder.

·
Registered
320 Posts
hello yes you can i just did my 71 240z...first time and yea it took me a weekend to do....about 4 hours for the rears...because getting the old strut inserts off took alot of grunting and cursing and time ...i used a large pipe wrench with teeth to remove the old gland nut..because the style of gland nut on the original inserts.is very thin and bends...so since you get new gland nuts with the inserts..the old ones are trash...i did the work myself..and am 110lbs so yes it took me longer because i had to use alot of inventing to lift the assembly back up into the body..i used a spair floor jack under the assembly a slowley riased it untill i could get a nut on the shock tower...but you may not need to do this....i used a spring compresure that hooks inside the springs and has two large bolts on each side that you screw the nuts down.evenly to shrink the springs enough to get the top strut insert bolt undun...i DID NOT remove the rear assembly i swung them out from under the wheel well for the rears...that worked great for me ..you will be told to remove the entire assembly.with other responses from your post but i chose not to do so...now the fronts you have too...one thing to remember is to clean out the strut housing real good ,,my 240z had tons of crap.in there...and replace the strut oil with the oil of your chioce ( i used 20w motorcylce shock oil since i had some already...i also sprayed the bolts with penertrating oil about a week prior everyday to help loosen them up once i was ready to do the work....i loosened the bolts just a tad on top of the strut towers the three that holds the strut and the center one that holds the spring assembly while they were still on the car..just to be sure they would come off before i disasembled the struts from the car..there are tons of post on this work...check them out...you can do it and save yourself some big bucks...also besure that when you order your springs if you have'nt yet that thay are instock..i had troulble getting them for my 240z.and waisted alot of time waiting for nothing to come u.p.s....anyway if you have questions you can email me ...good luck michele [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.