ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebello just finished work on my 3.0L [email protected] engine. Should be showing my talilights to alot of cars after the 500mi break in.
Now all I need is a LSD!!
I've been Zless for 6 weeks now, and can hardly wait to climb back into that cockpit and go for a drive. :)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Thats COOL!</b>

Hi Dave,

COOl COOL COOL, I have a friend that should be getting his too from the same place. His last name is Griggs, you may have heard of him. He drives a silver 72 240Z.

I don't know if this is very well known, but I heard there is some secret SU work going on at Rebello's. Something about a change in the butterfly size. Do you know anything about it????

Back to your engine, how do you plan on getting fuel in the chamber? Carbs? Injection?

By any chance are you the guy from Daily City?

Thanks,
Dennis
73 240Z - SF Bay Area

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: Thats COOL!

Sorry, haven't heard of Griggs. What size engine is he getting?

Yeah, Rebello is doing alot of work on carbs. I'm not sure exactly what his trick is, but he's able to get an extra 50cfm out of Webers. He does alot of work with the SU's as well. Mainly because ITS rules mandate that 240Z's use the SU's. You're right though, it does involve modifying the butterflies.

I'm running Triple 45mm Webers with 40mm Chokes. I also have the 1 5/8 Nismo header and straight 2.5" exhaust. I lightened a 240Z flywheel while I was at it. Rebello installed a custom cam too. This engine should scream!!

To answer your last question, no I am not the guy from Daly City. I live in Santa Clara. I drive a orange 72 240Z.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Great News</b>

I've heard that high power Z stroker motors hang with new skylines over in Japan until about halfway through 3rd gear. You should have a screamer.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You'll Love the power

Sounds like my motor. It is a blast, night and day difference from the bolt on Z engine I used to have. Mine is not Rebello but I get 267 rwhp. I also use triple webers that are modified by a guy who could probably do it in his sleep. I have no problems walking away from camaro's, mustangs and I have beat a 92 6spd vette that I see every morning on the way to work. Talk about a nice feeling, he used to walk me, now I tease him. On a roll it is very fast. 4th gear pulls to 8000 as easy as 1st or 2nd.

Congradulations and enjoy
Later
Matt

·
Registered
358 Posts
RE: How do you get that kind of rpm's?

My L24, while running good, peaked around 6250 rpm or so, and would spin past that although it was useless. I'm running a cam, .05 overbore, aftermarket airfilters and header/exhuast. How in the **** do you rev you L6 that high??? I'm so jealous, I may have to buy another 240 just to do the stroker!
Anthony

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Thats COOL!</b>

Hi Dave,

I was just wondering... I didn't mean to play 20 questions... Just curious.

I agree, should be a great engine...

Dennis
73 240Z - An Orange one too

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Thats COOL!</b>

Sounds like a beautiful work of art! As far as the question of revs ..Balance Balance Balance and Flow Flow Flow.... My 2.9 pulls all the way to 8000 rpms but I can feel the accelleration start to fall off a bit after 7600rpm. I don't know about 4 gear yet but it pulls hard to 8000rpm in 1,2, and 3rd gear which puts me well over the speed limit. I like you am still finishing the break in period. It is taking a little longer because I'm using SS piston rings. I did take the car up to 5400 rpm in 5th and calculated with my diff/ tranny/tire dia/rpm that I reached 144mph, and I did it in a REAL BIG HURRY!!!

Enjoy Your Z!! (make sure you have good tires/brakes/ and at least a 4 point harness so you can REALLY enjoy your Z to the fullest!)

ZR8ED.

·
Registered
625 Posts
AWESOME!!

I have been enjoying my 2.9L junkyard dog I finished a couple weeks ago and I can assure you that a professionally built 3.0L will knock your socks off.You wont believe the difference in low rpm torque and that high HP is gonna make it FLY!! Later,norm

·
Registered
996 Posts
RE: How do you get that kind of rpm's?

Bore/Stroke, forged pistons, rods all pieces precision balanced and polished including a custom forged crank. My car is not all that streetable at low speeds. The cam really pulls from 3500-8000 rpm and will easily go to 8500 but I have it limited with the ignition, which needs to be very good for those rpm ranges. I also had to get a Holley fuel pump and increase my fuel line size from the tank to the triple webers. My distributor uses sealed bearings instead of the bronze bushings. I have a light weight flywheel and aluminum driveshaft.

This is the 8th early Z that i have built and it has the best body so I decided to build it with the best, but keep it normally aspirated for simplicity.

Feel free to contact me
Later
Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.