ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all- I think I am going to pull an electric fan off of this 90's camaro at the junkyard and install it on my car. JC whitney sells the installiation kit for 3 bucks and I am going to operate it from a switch inside my car. Should I hard wire it directly to the battery or off of the alternator or WHAT?
Thanks Travis 77z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
> Hello all- I think I am going to pull an
> electric fan off of this 90's camaro at the
> junkyard and install it on my car. JC
> whitney sells the installiation kit for 3
> bucks and I am going to operate it from a
> switch inside my car. Should I hard wire it
> directly to the battery or off of the
> alternator or WHAT?
> Thanks Travis 77z

you would have to run the fan off the battery. i would use a relay in the circuit also. this means the power circuit would run from the battery, to the switch side of the relay, to the fan, and then to ground. you also need to create a control circuit for the relay to operate. you can grab power from the inside of your car, say from the hazard light circuit. this will give you power even with the key off, which is nice because you can leave the fan running on your car after you shut it off for adittional cooling, if you're only going to leave the car for a half hour or so. then you run the power to your switch and then to the coil side of the relay. you ground the other side of the coil, and there is your circuit. the reason i suggest using a relay is because you want as much current as possible to flow to the fan motor. the relay let's you run a short length of wire from the battery to the relay to the fan, instead of from the battery, all the way inside the car, through the switch, and back out to the fan. the difference is about 10 feet of extra wire, and the switch in the car isn't made for much current anyway. you also have to remember, the higher temperature your electrical components operate at, the greater the resistance. this means your fan will run slower, which makes it unreliable. the bottom line is to try and keep your high current wire as short as possible. using a relay solves this problem.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> electric fan off of this 90's camaro at the
> junkyard and install it on my car. JC
> whitney sells the installiation kit for 3
> bucks and I am going to operate it from a
> switch inside my car. Should I hard wire it
> directly to the battery or off of the
> alternator or WHAT?
> Thanks Travis 77z

Hi Travis,

I've heard stories about Zs not cooling well, but my 77 280 cools great! I live in Arizona and run the air (until the expansion valve died last summer) and don't have any problems at all. In fact, I wish my 82 celica cooled as well. I am the second owner of the vehicle, and can't vouch for any mods the previous owner did, but everything appears stock. I does have a replacement Modine ( $225) radiator, but this I put in because the old radiator leaked and was beyond repair. The most impressive piece of this whole cooling issue is the amount of air the fan pulls through the radiator. If you rev the engine with the hood open, it'll mess up your hair. Are you sure all the stock parts are functioning properly?

Perplexed,
Bruce 77z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 Bruce

> Hi Travis,

> I've heard stories about Zs not cooling
> well, but my 77 280 cools great! I live in
> Arizona and run the air (until the expansion
> valve died last summer) and don't have any
> problems at all. In fact, I wish my 82
> celica cooled as well. I am the second owner
> of the vehicle, and can't vouch for any mods
> the previous owner did, but everything
> appears stock. I does have a replacement
> Modine ( $225) radiator, but this I put in
> because the old radiator leaked and was
> beyond repair. The most impressive piece of
> this whole cooling issue is the amount of
> air the fan pulls through the radiator. If
> you rev the engine with the hood open, it'll
> mess up your hair. Are you sure all the
> stock parts are functioning properly?

> Perplexed,
> Bruce 77z

Bruce my Z cooling system works great...I drive in 115+ heat city traffic and never even come close to overheating...so why do I want to do this?
1. The Fan is soooo loud!
2. Removing the fan & the fan clutch reduces the rotating mass by at least 10 lbs.
3. Sorry to say it....the cool factor.
Z ya around Bruce-Travis 77z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first question is if you have an aircon in the car, if not their shouldnt be any problem cooling. If you do have a aircon then a: does it work, if not remove the cooling cell in front of the radiator, that sould get rid of the airflow problem. b: if the aircon does work and you want it, make sure that the radiator is working properly. The stock radiator has more than enough volume to cool the engine if it is working properly. A extra fan shouldnt be needed.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: 4 Bruce

> Bruce my Z cooling system works great...I
> drive in 115+ heat city traffic and never
> even come close to overheating...so why do I
> want to do this?
> 1. The Fan is soooo loud!
> 2. Removing the fan & the fan clutch
> reduces the rotating mass by at least 10
> lbs.
> 3. Sorry to say it....the cool
> factor.
> Z ya around Bruce-Travis 77z

Travis,

Personal opinion, I'd rather have the noisey stock fan, because it works. I put dual 12 cooling fans on my 82 celica in a effort to solve a long time cooling problem. According to the manufacturer's (Hayden) data, these fans should move more air all the times than the stock fan did at 2000 rpm. There was no room for the electric fans and the stock fan, so the stock fan went into the storage room. The car is quieter, it cools a little better at idle, cools about the same at cruise, and the battery is almost always near dead. The alternator can't supply enough power to run the fans, lights and charge the battery. At this point I will probably put the stock fans back on and put the electric fans in a dark corner of the storage room where the won't remind me of the $180 I spent on fans, thermostat, wire, connectors, fuses, and hardware to do the conversion. I'm sure electric conversions can work great, but there is a ripple effect that could run into $.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To travis77

I was just wondering what the reasons are for butting a electric fan in your car. I have been told that I might need one in my car because I might have vapor lock but i have qalso been told that is no possible in a fuel injected car i am real confused about that. I was just wondering.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
READ...."4 BRUCE" it will address your Q

> I was just wondering what the reasons are
> for butting a electric fan in your car. I
> have been told that I might need one in my
> car because I might have vapor lock but i
> have qalso been told that is no possible in
> a fuel injected car i am real confused about
> that. I was just wondering.