ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever seen these with vents in them or new covers made with vents?

i need to get rid of underhood hot air in warm weather and dont want to have to change to a vented 280z hood just yet.

thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
MSA sells them. you gotta send in your cores tho, before or after you order them.... heres the link:

<http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=50-1451&Category_Code=7BSA>

·
Registered
290 Posts
I dont think the louvered inspection lids would be the best way of getting rid of heat on hot days. Or at least its the most round about way of doing it, unless you like the look of them.
Upgrading your cooling system would be money better spent, like a good electric fan, or aluminum radiator. Or just drive around with your hood popped up and the latch kept to leak out the heat if its really a problem and your stuck in traffic.

-BlaZed

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the car doesnt overheat radiator/water wise (it stays right at 185), its just **** hot under the hood air temerature wise and it gets vapor lock ocassionally and i do not want to put a electric fuel pump on it, unless absolutely necessary.

i have already wrapped the fuel lines and that helped alot, but every once in a while its a pain in the a**. half the problem is those **** small metal lines off the fuel pump to the carbs.

Post Edited (Oct 14, 3:31am)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup got heat shield, but the heat off the headers is dang hot as they arent coated. im not so worried this late in the year, but gonna work on solutions this winter. coating the header isnt in the game plan as its a daily driver and there isnt time to do it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Do have a hotrod shop around? You can take your inspection covers off and have them press louvers in them. Heat rises and will find it's way out. With the car moving it will aid venting as well. I seen somewhere someone louvered his or her entire hood. Looked crappy to me, overkill. But if you put a couple on the hood in a designed pattern maybe it would look good. Maybe just punch the louvers where the 77,78 has vents.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive seen louvered hoods and liked some of them and not others. it definately needs venting somehow though.

ive been searching for a 280z vented hood but none in my area of northern california in decent shape.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I don't think it would cost much if you remove your items to be punched. But if you have a nice paint job now it will need to be painted again.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think id be too worried about all the water getting under the hood with vents punched in it though. i could see a couple punches, but not alot them because of the water problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.