ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'83 280 ZX na
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All,
Want to install inline fuel filter between fuel tank and fuel pump Is there a micron rating and flow rating? Fram G3 clear plastic filter mentioned alot here.
Seems the ones I find online are opaque plastic not clear and using cheap plastic that's not reliable and prone to leak or crack if hit rock etc...(based on some of the reviews). Has anyone found better alternative? K n N has good solid body filter option at Advance. Evil Energy has a solid steel body with a removable filter for cleaning but can't see filter unless you remove it....Any input with good alternative much appreciated...:cool:.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
On the fuel injected 280zx, I wouldn't even bother with it. You're not really gaining anything. A properly working fuel pump, good lines, and new fuel filter is really all you need.
I think the inline fram filter thing is better geared toward the carbed cars 240's and 260's. But every man to his own.
What kinds of problems is your car having? Or are you just wanting to do this, just to do it?

Bon

·
Registered
'83 280 ZX na
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the fuel injected 280zx, I wouldn't even bother with it. You're not really gaining anything. A properly working fuel pump, good lines, and new fuel filter is really all you need.
I think the inline fram filter thing is better geared toward the carbed cars 240's and 260's. But every man to his own.
What kinds of problems is your car having? Or are you just wanting to do this, just to do it?

Bon
I agree. Filter makes more sense with the older z's...we're just getting our z running after sitting for extended period and the fuel had turned and I pumped out old fuel which was pretty nasty so I thought be good preventive considering tank is 37 yrs old. I don't know how much sediment/rust might have accumulated over the years and hadn't planned on pulling tank at this stage. Thanks for the input..

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I agree. Filter makes more sense with the older z's...we're just getting our z running after sitting for extended period and the fuel had turned and I pumped out old fuel which was pretty nasty so I thought be good preventive considering tank is 37 yrs old. I don't know how much sediment/rust might have accumulated over the years and hadn't planned on pulling tank at this stage. Thanks for the input..
Yeah, I get you man.
I was thinking the same thing on my 280z with the whole fram inline filter and then decided it wasn't very logical.. mind you there was some friends of mine who had input in that decision. has your car been in a protected garage or out in the elements? I think if you just drain that tank really good, maybe throw some seafoam in there. replace your fuel filter and you should be good to go. Just put in a little gas, enough to get it started, not a whole tank full. and make sure your fuel pump is working good. how long been sitting? my 280z has been garaged for 10 years and same with my 280zx, but every time I go home I drive the zx around. unfortunately I haven't been home since 2017, so it has not been started since. I will probably run into the same issue as you, but again this can be remedied for sure. Good luck!

Bon

·
Registered
'83 280 ZX na
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I get you man.
I was thinking the same thing on my 280z with the whole fram inline filter and then decided it wasn't very logical.. mind you there was some friends of mine who had input in that decision. has your car been in a protected garage or out in the elements? I think if you just drain that tank really good, maybe throw some seafoam in there. replace your fuel filter and you should be good to go. Just put in a little gas, enough to get it started, not a whole tank full. and make sure your fuel pump is working good. how long been sitting? my 280z has been garaged for 10 years and same with my 280zx, but every time I go home I drive the zx around. unfortunately I haven't been home since 2017, so it has not been started since. I will probably run into the same issue as you, but again this can be remedied for sure. Good luck!

Bon
Car has been garaged last few years (sitting a year without being started) and actually in really good shape. How did/would you drain your tank? I drained about 7 gallons of old fuel out but had to use transfer hand pump stuck down filler neck and it was a pain (took a long time and almost got got hose stuck in tank). Have you ever accessed tank from top via trunk floorboard? Depending on how difficult that would be, seems like a good way to actually see down in tank.
Fuel pump ops ck good and replaced fuel filter and flushed fuel rail...it was gummed up with no fuel getting to injectors....after sitting so long car wouldn't start unless sprayed starting fluid into intake....then it ran great until starting fluid used up...thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts