ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any thoughts on this. I have an 81 turbo and have replaced three injectors with rebulit ones for $30 each. The car seems not to have enough fuel under full boost and the throtle does not seem to "snap" open, but gradually opens up. The car once had a fuel leak at one of the injectors, (since fixed) and it drove exactly the way it does now. I've replaced a few injectors, one rebuilt one was dead on arrival, one only lasted a few months and the other ones performance is suspect. I'm thinking of getting all new nissan injectors, but at a cost of over $100 each, I want to make sure it's necessary.

· Registered
906 Posts
i bought 6 merkur injectors for 30 dollars from a local SVO turbo nut.....now you have to modify them to fit your fuel rail......it would be worth the extra time it takes. not only are the available for a good price.....they flow more than your current turboinjectors.....acutally the flow more than 300ZX (Z31) turbo injectors.

goodluck...

-Sparky
72 240ZT

· Registered
103 Posts
"More flow"??

Sparky....I am under the impression that larger ("more flow") injectors than what your car calls for would only cause an overly rich condition. For instance, turbo injectors in a n/a engine do not provide for more power, but only result in the engine running richer than it should. Did you complete your installation of these Merkur injectors into your car, and did the car run satisfactorily afterwards? What were they installed in? Seems to me that if you install injectors that provide more fuel because of their larger orifice you must also provide some means of getting more air into the combustion chambers as well. Comments?

· Registered
906 Posts
yuppers....

as stated in the original post....he has an 81 turbo....meaning that with larger injectors...you have the ability to turn the boost up.....even on a NA motor running a big bore throttle body....and a larger exhaust along with some porting....you could take advantage of larger injectors....while I would go with the turbo ones on a NA instead of the merkur injectors.

the merkur inj. upgrade has been a widely used and proven way of maintaining the correct AF ratio on higher boost applications.

-Sparky
72 240ZT
72 BMW 2002
71 Honda N600 (microcar)
87 Sentra
69 plymouth valiant

· Registered
103 Posts
How about unmodified??

Trinity1945 made no mention whatsoever about any modifications to his '81 Turbo. My question is directed towards his (and my) unmodified '81 Turbo and whether there is any advantage or disadvantage in having larger injectors with "more flow" when there are no other changes made to the car or engine. He seemed to be interested in replacing expensive stock parts with other comparable parts that are more economical. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will).

· Registered
996 Posts
Trinity-Don't know where you live but here in Portland, there are a few places that will clean and flow test your injectors for $20/ea. It sounds to me at though you may have gotten a few nz injectors mixed in or perhaps they need cleaning. When you change spark plugs, is there any difference in the color or condition of the plugs from one cylinder to another? If you have a few lean cylinders, I'd take that as confirmation of an injector problem.
Dan

· Registered
492 Posts
....i'm gonna use the 370cc merkur inj on my 82zxt.....they got 'em @ advanced new for $60ea.... i think the stock ecu will accomodate close to 500cc and still meter the flow/enrichment to what you need...but anyway....6 of 'em , a cheap intercooler ...prbly about $200 of other "stuff".....you got 330hp (as opposed to 185hp stock)...should be able to tell a difference....s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.