ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my fuel injectors is beginning to leak. As this was my first time working with my injectors (in the 5 years I've driven the car), I was able to partially remove the fuel rail line and lift out one end of it so I could see the bottom of the injector holders. The one that is leaking had a hole in one side of the injector holder (plastic-must have cracked) and the large rubber O-ring was paritally sticking out. I carefully removed both parts and noticed the O-ring was torn on the inside of where the hole in the plastic was.

Is it safe to assume that the leak (minor) was because the injector holder had cracked and the rubber O-ring was torn from the pressure? None of the other ones are leaking, and the car was running strong at 105K orig. The rubber fuel hoses on each injector look good still (although 16 years old). I did buy an O-ring set at the local autoparts store, however they did not look like the one I removed. The Nissan OEM O-rings have a small lip that the metal washer can fit on top, when it's placed on top of the plastic injector holder. I didn't see any of the smaller O-rings that this set came with, though the manual states that it goes around the tip of the injector.

Any comments are appreciated.

Rob
IZCC #627

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just replaced all of the seals on my injectors. Number 4 was leaking and had a broken mounting block with the upper seal bulging out. I also replaced the number 4 injector because I couldn't tell exactly where the leak was and didn't want to do the job twice.

I got the seal kit from Victoria British for around $7 for all six injectors. The little seal on the bottom was just a round flat donut with no apparant lip. The originals that I removed had a lip but I assumed that it was due to deformation from being compressed over the last 16 years.

My strongest recommendation is that you look it over very carefully and figure on replacing all seals, broken mounting blocks, and any bad injectors at the same time. You don't want to do this job twice.

Good Luck!

Bob A.
IZCC #5497

P.S. There is a way to replace the short little hoses on the injectors but I have not done it. Maybe someone else on the forum can lend the benefit of their experience.

> One of my fuel injectors is beginning to
> leak. As this was my first time working with
> my injectors (in the 5 years I've driven the
> car), I was able to partially remove the
> fuel rail line and lift out one end of it so
> I could see the bottom of the injector
> holders. The one that is leaking had a hole
> in one side of the injector holder
> (plastic-must have cracked) and the large
> rubber O-ring was paritally sticking out. I
> carefully removed both parts and noticed the
> O-ring was torn on the inside of where the
> hole in the plastic was.

> Is it safe to assume that the leak (minor)
> was because the injector holder had cracked
> and the rubber O-ring was torn from the
> pressure? None of the other ones are
> leaking, and the car was running strong at
> 105K orig. The rubber fuel hoses on each
> injector look good still (although 16 years
> old). I did buy an O-ring set at the local
> autoparts store, however they did not look
> like the one I removed. The Nissan OEM
> O-rings have a small lip that
> the metal washer can fit on top, when it's
> placed on top of the plastic injector
> holder. I didn't see any of the
> smaller O-rings that this set
> came with, though the manual states that it
> goes around the tip of the injector.

> Any comments are appreciated.

> Rob
> IZCC #627

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with Bob, Go ahead and replace them all now.
As for you fuel lines if you have to replace any just make sure that you get the high pressure fuel lines from Nissan. Remember that fuel in the F.I.I Z-Car is moving much higher pressure ( I think it's 60 or 90 PSI) Than other F.I.cars.
hope I help some.
Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.