ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 76 280 with a leaky fuel injector. the bad injector is the last one closest to the firewall. it leaks gas out and it needs to be changed. my question is, in order to change this injector does the whole fuel rail have to come out or, because there seems to be room could i pull it out without disturbuing the rail. i brought it to a couple of local garages and no would even look at it, they just said 20 yr old fuel injectors, take it to someone else.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
take the whole rail our replace your badd inj. and replace all o-rings. sure you can work up just the bad end but will you create more leaks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: injector/fuel rail help</b>

Removing and installing the fuel rails can be a bitch, but if you know how its just tedious.
1. Remove the rails with injectors on them, just unscrew the 12 FI screws along with rail mount bolts and remove the whole thing. ( no need to disconnect wires or fuel lins).
2.Replace the bad FI and check the o-rings, if they're not super hard or cracked, no need to replace.
3.Since you did not remove the fuel lines (right?), you can turn the key to ignition (DO NOT RUN THE CAR) and with two D sized batteries connected in series and with aligator clip jumper wires( $2.49 at Radio Shack), you can check the actuall operation of each FI. Besure to place a glass jar (DON'T USE PLASIC) beneath the FI your checking.( BE CAREFUL WITH THE GASOLINE---DON'T PUT ANY SPARKS NEAR IT!!!). You should be able to check all your FIs this way.
4. Now here is the catch, you may be attempted to try to install the whole thing back in the way you took it off,
don't try it you'll have a hard time. Easier way in the long run is to take each FI off the rails and install it on to the manifold one at a time. After all FIs are in then squirt some WD-40 on the rail fittings and install it on top of FIs.
Good Luck.
tom2Z²

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
If a mech won't touch your Z.....

Thank him and get the **** out of there!!!! You don't want him to touch it anyway....."20 year old injectors" what the **** is he so scared of!!?!??!!?? WORK! Geez, Bosch fuel injection is THE system, it's on everything in one form or another for Gods sake!

Ken

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
RE: If a mech won't touch your Z.....

I agree pull the whole rail, and replace the rubber injector o-rings.The kit is about 6 bucks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is the kind of mentality I deal with when I take my 76Z into mechanic shops. If I can at all help it, I am determined to fix my own problems from now on! I can probably do a better job! Good mechanics are hard to find! A legitimate mechanic at a legitimate repair shop will take you over to the engine and explain the procedure time and cost for correcting the problem. Unfortunately, I have not found a place with this honest work ethic called "SERVICE" except at Midas where you get a written guarantee on all work performed along with the explanation on your car. What service!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Here's what I just did:
1. Loosen all the screwing holding the fuel hoses to the injector feed tubes on the rail.
2. Take out the screws on the injectors for cylinders 4, 5, &6.
3: Loosen the screws holding the rest of the injectors to the head.
4: Remove the screws holding the rail in place.
5: Slide #6 injector up the feed tube as far as it will go.
6: Now, if you carefully lift the feed rail, you should be able to get enough clearance on #6 to pull it off and replace the injector wihout taking off the entire fuel rail assembly.
7: Be careful to guide the injector (probably 5 & 6) back into their sockets properly.

It worked for me!! Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.