ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI, The Toyota 4X4 brake swap is sold as easy and it is if you don't plan to upgrade the rotors as well. However, a 300ZX vented rotor up front and a Late 80's Toyota V6 caliper will do a much better job stopping your Z car. I found that out this weekend. All you need is a 1/2 inch spacer made to fit between the hub and the rotor, the Caliper from a V6 4X4 Toyota and a few different thickness washers to act as shims for the proper spacing. This will give you even bigger swepped pad surface and a vented rotor to help shed heat. The 88 and newer caliper is what I used. Hope this helps.........

·
Registered
149 Posts
How did you do the spacer?

Danilo

·
Registered
149 Posts
How did you install the fittings?

Danilo

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the rotor to a machine shop and had them machine a billet spacer for the rotor/ Hub assembly. These cost me $100. The fittings worked just fine, although I already had upgraded to braded brake lines, which made routing the line to the caliper easy. I also recommend you get the Russel Speed Bleed bleeder valves, as they make one person bleeding a snap.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Some words of caution regarding the swap...

1. The hub thicknesses vary from car to car. The 240 is 17mm while the 280 and 260 are 25mm. Therefore different thickness spacers will be needed, depending on your hub thickness. I suggest you measure this before buying anything. I made my spacer out of 6061-T6 aluminum. I may have some extra sets in the near future. They cost ~$50 set.

2. Not all wheels fit with this swap. I suggest installing the caliper and fitting the wheels back on, otherwise you might have problems.

3. Only the 1984 300ZX 4 bolt rotor works. All others are 5 bolt.

4. The correct caliper should have a 'S12-W' stamped on the side. The other 4x4 caliper used with the stock Z rotor has a 'S12' stamped on it.

5. Highly suggest installing new brake lines both hard and flexible. Our cars are old, and it's cheap insurance to replace these parts, especially if you're already neck deep in the swap.

240Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.