ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i stumbled across this forum when deciding on what car i wanted. now i hit this site daily and have been saving every dime to get a z of my own. i searched on this site and you guyz tell every person to save for a tt. i dont know which 2 but now ive looked and well, i need some expert advice 2 tt or not 2 tt what is the realisitic hp capabilities for a n/a how much is a reasonable price to pay for a n/a or a tt plz help

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
For an n/a, stock they're 222hp (you could see anywhere from 190-that).

For a TT, stock they're 300hp (usually 275-that in used condition)

an N/A really isn't capable of much HP increase, you might be able to squeeze 240hp out of it with quite a bit of money.

For a TT, with $1000 to $2000, you can get 380-400hp out of it.

Plus, the TT is capable of so much more, once you have the money, that can't be said for the n/a as far as performance goes.

For a TT, I'd say expect to pay 8k-14k, getting nicer as the price goes up.

For an n/a, expect to pay 4k-11k, depending on what you want.

I too would say save for a TT, if you can afford it (and can afford to maintain it properly) it's sooooo worth it in the end.

Edit - I got lucky, and paid $10k for a mint 91 TT 5 speed, with 54,000 original miles, and with the 60k service already done.

Post Edited (Jan 14, 11:06pm)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Depends on how much money you make. It seems the TT is a much more of a money ***** than the n/a =0)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im only seventeen and i work constantly i dont spend any money if i save enough i can get 8k no problem but how much money does the tt z cost to maintain

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i work at steak n sheak part time and i do stuff for money on the side i already dont have time for anything else and i around $150 a week

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
I have a rule of thumb...if my car has to go to the dealership for anything, I will expect to pay at least $500.

The local dealership charges $70/hr. But they don't mind that their master tech free-lances at home. And he charges me $20/hr. They even let him bring my car in on the weekends for tools/equipment he doesn't have at home.

I would wager every Nissan tech free-lances.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
ok ill put in my .02 no offense but your seventeen- i would go for a na till you get used to driving and then either sell it or do a swap.

you can find a na for as low as 1500 and ive seen them as high as 12000

you can get a tt from as low as, cheapest ive seen for 3500-36000, depending on condition and stuff like that

it doesnt really cost all that much to maintain till things go bad-like turbos expect to pay 2000 for turbos plus install, if it needs the 60k/120k expect to pay 600ish depending which one plus install- the list keeps going and it adds up fast.

imho for someone only making 600 a month and wants a z id shoot for a na for the meantime and im speaking from experiance-if i had a tt z at that age, one id be in jail, two maybe dead, and three no drivers license-you tend to slow down a bit after getting older and getting a few citations.

i can say that i saw a 93 na today with 58000 miles on it and the guy is asking 7000, and he is the original owner and he just did the 60k at nissan and has proof of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx for the help looks like speaking to the seasoned veterans, showed i need n/a due to price and cost to maintain well i live in tampa fl. keep me in mind if u see a fantastic deal on a n/a let me know thanx for all the help i look forward to postin pics.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
i too am 17 and i have an NA. To many, the NA is fast enough. Compared to other kids that are gettin ole civics and what not, the NA is fast. NA looks just as good, handles awesome, and is a very nice car all around. Sure, i wish i had a TT, but as it would have been my first car, i prolly would have wrecked it by now. Jr. gets a civic, say 120hp, now you've got a 300hp beast and could easily get it up to 400. Very cool, but could get ya into trouble.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
For a first purchase, given your age -- I'd recommend a NA. Good car to learn about handling -- a bit easier to do engine mtce work too (assuming that's something that interests you?).

FYI - A number of us do our own work because parts are a bit more expensive than other cars and the complexity involved really drives up labor hours. Things on other cars that take maybe 30-60 mins require 2-3 hours (or more) on the Z.

1,096 Posts
I would highly recommend a n/a as well for 2 reasons 1st being your age and second being your income. The n/a is a great car to learn and get a feel for the z32, after all this is a drivers car. Then when you get either out of college or more financially stable then theres always the option of either selling the car and buying a TT or doing a TT conversion. By this time you will have more knowledge of the car and will have more respect for the both the car and what it was built for. I would highly recommend using this site to the most of its ability to learn as much as possible, b'c there are a lot of very knowledgable and experienced people here that have the answer to almost any question. I hope this helps out and good luck in your search.

Ryan

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
I got my NA at 15 and have always longed for a TT, but I know that if I had gotten a TT before the last few months I would be dead. No matter how much you want to deny it, someone our ages are not ready for that much power. Believe me, I was one of "the most mature kids" people have ever seen, and I still did all kinds of crazy sh*t. I'm now content with the NA power for a few more years.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm 17 as well and I own an N/A I make just a little bit more money a week than you (right about $190-200) , and all of it goes into the car. The N/A is PLENTY powerful, just ask my friend with the B16 turboed civic hatch :) My car is probably making around 230-240 horses and she's quick, just take my 2 speeding tickets for an example. I want a TT so bad, but i know that i would, as ssm86 said, probably be dead right now or without a license. 240 hp is more than a 17 yr old should be trusted with. when I get older and if i still have the Z I want to TT it. And as for insurance....... for me through State Farm. for the basic insurance just to be able to drive it was a lil more than $1,200 a year, and I have collision insurance which is another $1,250 a year, I don't know if that really matters to you, but that's one of my biggest drains on the car, but I don't know a lot of kids that pay their own insurance. Well I hope you find an awesome Z and will continue to join us here on zcar. Adios Amigos.

Eric

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i agree, the problem with the z being i dont know alot scractch that i dont know anything about engines. and i here maintaning the z requires alot of your own work. sure im interested in working with my own to hands but that option just isint available to me how did you guys learn about cars.Z1 ZONLY wrote:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
awesome, nice to see some other kids have to pay for the whole of their car, in all aspects. I've learned a lot from different forums, I also have a couple of manuals for the car, plus i've worked with other engines before, mainly honda's which are nowhere near as complicated as the Z's. It'll come with time, just be willing to get your hands dirty and to devote a lot of time and money.

Eric

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
I think the main reason TT's require so much [unproportinally IMO] more maint. than TT's is that they are driven much harder. N/a's that were bought new were usually just cruises for at least the first couple owners. People looking for a faster car had much better priced cars back then like the vette. The n/a was still 30 grand+++ new. More TT's are beat and abused, and usually have much more owners.

HOWEVER, be very weary of buying low priced n/a's. TT owners usually are more concerned about their car's performance, whereas many poorer conditioned n/a owners just do enough to keep it running. A clean 5spd n/a for 5-6k is a good choice if you know what to look for.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have owned my N/A from day one. The insurance on the TT for your age is going to be a killer. You will be spending all your money on insurance before it would go to the TT. Get quotes before you buy!!!. I have a modded up N/A and I am very happy with its performance. Since I live near Indianapolis, I proabably would not really be able to enjoy a TT due to traffic (keep that in mind). I will keep my eye out for N/A for you. You may want to try the classifieds on tt.net. Take your time. Don't jump on the first one you see. Since most of the Z that are 10+ years old, it is going to need have maintenance records. If there are none...I would walk away. If a Z is not properly maintained, it will turn on you and become a money pit. I am sure if you asked one of the guys here to look at a car for you that is far away from you, they will do so. We are one big happy family here. Welcome to Zcar.com!!

Good lucK!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.