ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will things all hook up-can I still use my feulie system, exhaust manifold, sensors match, a/c brackets, etc that kind of thing or will it be a major change? I would like to see it like small block chevy's where the blocksa are essentially the same. I would like to transplant that f54 and p79 to my 78280 with ease.
any advice would be appreciated. I am truly thanful that I have a z to play withand you guys to get advice from--Happy THANKSGIVING

·
Premium Member
40,992 Posts
Skip the ECU.

The motor and accessories will bolt in fine. All the sensor connections you wish to connect will attach to the later EFI manifold and sensor loactions. You may possibly want to transfer your thermostat housing over from your current engine so you know exactly which sensors are what.
Do NOT try to swap the ECU from early to late! Especially if it's an O2 sensor controlled car! The connctions are different, and you will have to transfer wiring harnesses and relays.
I transferred the EFI system from an 82 into my 76, but the following things come up doing the swap without using the later ECU and harness:
1: the inlet boot is different size from the AFM to the T/B. You can either wrap the T/B with tape or something, or swap the T/B from your 76 intake.
2: unless you are swappint the harness and relays, you have to use the 76 AFM for it's fuel pump contacts.
3: some of the late model intakes have the BCCD on the manifold instead of the T/B so there are plugs and tube routing there.
4: The bypass air system is different between the two engines, so you have to plug one of the big bypass air hose lines and "t" it off to another fitting.
5: Exhaust manifold headpipe goes to a different spot, and will hit your left T/C rod mount unless you dimple it, and even then it's closer than I like....

I used the intake manifold assy from the 82 complete on mine, wrapped the smaller diameter intake T/B with electrical tape, "t" the air bypass line and dimpled the headpipe with the thermostat housing swap. It works fine, but nobody can tell the difference.
I did it as a temporary item. I currently have a non-EGR 75 intake and exhaust manifold that I am putting onto the engine after a year. This will restore the original system to the vehicle.
I will not stop there, though, as the engine I am installing all this on if from an 83...
I will complete the wiring harness and retrofit the 83 ECU and wiring harness onto the early model manifold later this year. I am having an O2 sensor welded into the MSA headpipe from the stock manifold so I can use the closed-loop feature. This should bump my MPG up a bit (from the 19-22 range to 25-28mpg) during cruise.

If you swap or try to swap the ECU's, be advised, unless the car is a RHD model and you have plenty of space under the dash (like behind the glovebox on an RHD car!) the later-model ECU is larger, and does not fit in the space for the early model ECU. I laready have the late model ECU mounted up under the dash behind the glove box (Fairlady Z, so no steering column or gauges to contend with!)

Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.