ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 60K miles on a new belt...tensioner & stud...3 new seals...2 new hoses...water pump...CHTS......I'm putting on a new belt and the 2 hoses (bypass and short straight hose).

Found that the old belt was loose by about 1/2"...just like the original belt at 90K. There was a good bit of rubber dust down around the lower gear and tensioner...on the front covers...but nothing seen as far a where it is rubbing...so must the the front crank plate? Pass side cam seal has a very slight leak. Cleaned up the connx to the CHTS.

Current tensioner bearing has some slight front to back play in it, but makes no noise...while the old one at 90K has no play...so will be putting the original one back in. The spring turns out to have been put in right...loosen it and it tightens the belt.

I've run the car fairly hard over this 60K..with a good many runs up thru 4-5K...while maybe the earlier 90K were easier miles. Not putting a lot of parts in it due to still running the original auto in it...still does OK, but expecting problems eventually. Also rust issues. Hoping for another fairly easy 30K....car has plenty of power running it under 3K...more than many. Will always have that reserve power.

Fortunately I haven't had the drivability problems some people have and spend endless hours & $ chasing down. Just all new calipers...rotors (2x on the front)..exhaust...alignments...t-belt...ball joint...tuneups... etc. Knock on aluminum....

QUESTION....has anyone seen the rubber dust inside the covers?

Post Edited (Sep 18, 4:34am)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Are you implying that the Z31 FSMs are wrong when they say things like:
"Point arrow on timing belt toward front belt cover."
or:
"Have arrow on timing belt pointing toward front belt covers."

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Page 78 of the Haynes manual shows the belt arrow pointing to the FRONT of the car....FSM says point it toward FRONT belt cover.

The old (2nd) Nissan belt was .985" wide when taken out...new NAPA - Gates belt is 1.010" wide. Dust was from front edge of the belt where it rides on the crank pulley plate which was new with last belt...lost about .025"? No fraying...clean edge...just lost .025" of dust!

The 2nd tensioner from Nissan has a slightly different name...and probably part number...put the original 90K one in since it was in better shape....smooth...no slop.

At any rate...it's in there...hoping for at least 30K miles or so.

Post Edited (Sep 18, 2:22pm)

·
Registered
548 Posts
I just finished my 84 about 2 weeks ago and I pointed the arrow at the front of the car like it said on the belt. (Goodyear) IF you have everything lined up the white marks on the belt won't line up with the cam and crank marks with the arrow facing the engine.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed that this NAPA-Gates belt lined up perfectly...ALL dimples, marks, & lines...where the last belt (Nissan) was off some at the cam gears.

As far as the dust and belt edge issue...thinking that it might have been the typically high revs....or a worn crank gear.

Destructive testing of the bypass and short straight hose shows that they were in better shape than the first hoses tested at 90K and 12 years vs current 60K and 5 years.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Perhaps those who disagree with the factory's belt arrow direction would like to provide some reasoning or point to some documentation in support of their statement.
FSMs can be wrong. I have found some errors myself but nothing as major as belt alignment.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I always look at things before tearing them apart. Like Mister_T said FSM's aren't always right. I say they don't go into great detail and show you everything either. Shop manuals are for reference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.