ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I had a phone conversation reputable Z guy (Don Potter, from Milpidas CA, he has been building and racing Z's since early 70's.) He said the casting design had a flaw in it. The Heat sinks (which help to keep the heat stable) in compustion chambers #3 and #4 sometimes are not totally formed. They used Duel Pour casting techniques but the mold was not what it should of been. He continued to say that he had fixed over 500 heads so far, and have had many crack on him. One time he had a brand new E31 head on a brand new engine and the head cracked after 1 week due to this exact flaw. He did not reccomend taking off your head to check if this problem exists, but gave a few things to watch out for. 1.check if your loosing water, and buy a hydrocarbon check kit and test your water. Also check your plugs on #3&4.
The main thing you have to watch out for is overheating, cause that is what will crack your head.
I am new to this board so this might be old news. All you bay area Z owners who go to REBELLO, please tell me what their views on this issue is .

THANKS
Ryan

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.